how many of America's founding fathers did not believe in God?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin were the most notable, and had interesting quotes regarding such. I am not 100% sure they were atheists, but the claim that our founding fathers found this country on the principles of Christianity is misleading.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 9:20 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I somehow think Thomas Paine wasn't a believer!

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.
    Thomas Paine

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.
    Thomas Paine

Is it not a species of blasphemy to call the New Testament revealed religion, when we see in it such contradictions and absurdities.
    Thomas Paine

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.
    Thomas Paine

The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.
    Thomas Paine

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:31 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• majority of the founders were mason's.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• and that includes washington, jefferson, franklin etc etc.
    almost all were mason's and that is why they designed many of the buildings back then to represent masonic images
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• A lot of them were deists. Which is a kind of agnosticism. Basically they didn't subscribe to a particular religion, at least from what I've read. Thomas Jefferson was the SHIT though, you should look up some of his quotes on religion and Christianity in particular.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2009