Real unemployment hists 16.4% today

Well, the U-3 number hit 9.4% today and the U-6 number, often referred to as the real unemployment number by a lot of people, hit 16.4%.

http://stats.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t12.htm

smalltowngal

Asked by smalltowngal at 9:10 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-9 Credits)
  • it's sad isn't it??
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Bleh..... this whole thing worries me to death, I swear.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:36 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• When will Obama own this mess? Its his policies that have gotten us here now. He can't blame Bush forever. And if Mccain had been elected we would be on the mend.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yes, it's all Obama's fault. Everything.

Sadly, I think it'll only get worse with the whole GM deal. Those stimulus jobs needs to be cranked out faster.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:42 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Those stimulus jobs needs to be cranked out faster.

Yes its just to bad they wont stimulate a damn thing.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:52 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It makes one ponder how this news could be spun into a positive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It will be spun into Bush's fualt. No matter that its OBAMA that is spending like there is NO tomorrow while creating NOTHING! He said HE COULD FIX IT. And for all of you who say "well, it takes time" NOT what he said. He said Give my no experience, smooth talkin' butt the job and I will make EVERYTHING better. Oh and ONLY I can do it with my CHAAAAAANGE. Where the hell is the change? I see things changing for the worse. Is that what he meant?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• The positive is that lay off's were less in May than in April. The problem of course is not the number of people unemployed (well yes that is a problem) But the long term nature of the unemployment of each individual.  But Americans aren't very eager to do the math, so maybe we won't notice.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• LOL and whats so stinkin' funny is that you can't get the media to recognize the fact that EVERY April and May the UE rises, b/c of the thousands of tax preparers and IRS folks that are laid off at the end of tax season. It happens every year, but the media makes it look like something suspicious.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

You also have college graduates entering the work force which is why the unemployment went up .5% this time. On the flipside, the government has been hiring a lot of census workers which will be temporary workers and they hired them a lot sooner than usual.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 12:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2009