There is a JW child in my daughter's school. Why can't she participate in the holiday activities

She isn't even allowed to accept Halloween stickers or valentines.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If I understand the religion correctly (which I probably don't, lol) they don't believe in any holidays or celebrations---like no birthdays, or thanksgiving, or anything like that...

Only if I understand it correctly, lol
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• wow, poor thing! is it her parent's decision for that? i know some religions are very strict in certain holidays like Halloween that they consider frivolous, but, i think if they attend public schooling they should be allowed to participate in the same activities as the rest of the children. poor girl =(
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Her religion says no birthdays, no Christmas, nothing like that. I was friends with some JW kids who went to my school and they were always so upset by that.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:19 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I used to work with a lady who was raised like that...they didn't celebrate anything and she said she always felt so cheated...she now follows no set religion and really does up every holiday and go all out for her kids parties.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 9:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• One of our neighbors are JW and they have two small kids. The oldest is in the same grade as my son and we walk home from school with them. They are sweet people and I didnt know they were JW at all until in kindergarten, the classes had a project to do. They had to make a leprechaun trap for st patricks day. It was time consuming and obviously a parental job because k students cant do that by themselves. I thought it was annoying but we did it. I sincerely wanted out of it. I dont make huge deals over things like that but I did tell my son that leprechauns are only mythical creatures and they are not real. I dont want him believing crap like that but nevertheless I didnt make an issue about the project. So when we walked home that day, theres another child in his class and her mom told me that this JW little girls class didnt have to do it. I was like WHAT? She said since it was a religious issue for her, the teacher CONT.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• respected her beliefs by exempting the whole class. I was kinda irritated, not at the family but because I didnt think of saying that....LOL. I could have gotten my neighbors child, my child and the whole class out of the project.....he he. I sorta would have been telling the truth. As much as I dont want my child involved in junk like that, I also dont want to give him the impression that he can use his beliefs as an excuse to get out of something thats not that big of a deal. THis apparently was a big deal to this JW family though. I understood that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:25 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I was raised JW. The answer is very simple! The JWs live life by what is written in the bible. Because ALL religious holidays have pagan roots (no matter how they are seen today) they believe that Jesus would not have celebrated them, so they do not either. They are seen as Pagan in origin and thus non-Christian. Birthdays are different. There are birthday celebrations in the bible, both end in death or a "faithful" person, both were pagan celebrations. They believe that if God wanted them to celebrate birthdays they would have given examples of birthday celebrations where the faithful were involved. With secular holidays like Thanksgiving or the 4th of July the JW's believe that the only government should be Gods government and there fore they don't partake in any government actions. They don't vote, they don't celebrate the 4th and they don't say the pledge.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Now, that doesn't mean that they have no respect for their county, or other religions. But they don't believe that there should be any celebrations that weren't ordered by God. They do however celebrate things such as marraige, graduation and other life hurdles and accomplishments just as they would have in Jesus' day and like he was said to have done in the bible. And they also hold a yearly celebration for the last supper of Jesus as he ordered his followers to do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• sabrinambowen is right. my daughter whos 14 decided on her own after studying the bible that she didnt want to celebrate the holidays either. my kids as JW's arent missing anything as far as it goes to parties and other celebrations. she goes to parties that have no religious ties to it like get togethers. she gets gifts from us throughout the year so she's not bummed out about not getting xmas gifts anymore. Which is better for her because instead of getting 2 gifts per year for xmas and bdays, she gets things more often, like whenever I feel like buying her something, which is often because she's a great kid and soooo easy to shop for. So most children raised in our faith arent suffering, i'm sure there are some that dont like it, but most do because we believe that we need to please God before pleasing others. There are many other ways to have fun.
    Anonymous

• They go by bible principles and praise only jehovah, there is nothing wrong eith at all, I hame many who are my friends.And did you know the only two celebrations in the bible were of two bad man who didnt honor god? The girl is being raised up pretty well actually,she isn't missing anything.Like on kwanza are we missing something?
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 11:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009