Pagans: I hear a lot of talk about the goddess are there just as man gods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are TONS of Gods and Goddesses. Every culture had a whole pantheon. The reason I think most pagans talk more about the Goddess (or a particular Goddess) is that we feel more comfortable with the idea of creator as female.

And I know you're gonna give me "but God isn't any gender"... then why is he never referenced to as female, or are we told to call her God the Mother? Why not Mother, Daughter, Holy Ghost?? It's all way to patriarchal for me.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• What Paganmom said...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I am not going to give you any gender response I wanted to know because I hear a lot of moms say I will ask the goddess i hardly ever hear I will ask god.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• although their are diffrent gods/goddess sects. most believe in the two above all god(sun) goddess (moon)
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I personally believe in many more Gods and Goddesses than we can ever as mortals count... However I believe in a single great God and Goddess. Now, you'll need to understand each pagan may believe diferently, these are my beliefs. I believe that there is a single Great God and Great Goddess, who created all the others, or parent all the others. I believe that each civilization has their own Pantheon because those were that gods/goddesses that were "assigned" to that sivilization. Now that all these different peoples are comming together, I believe you should have the highest draw to those gods that represent your heritage. But All are equil.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:33 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• As a woman I have a greatter draw to the Goddesses than I do the Gods. But that to changes from person to person. It also could be because the Great Goddess started everything. She gave life to the Great God and then all the other lesser gods... When I am simply praying or just talking to the Gods I usually speak to the great Goddess. She is creator of all and a woman, I see her as my greatest ally for general life or general connections...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• As others have said, there are many Gods and Goddesses.

PERSONALLY, I see the Goddess as the creator and emotional backbone(so to speak). Its easier to understand her and see that she is the main drive behind it all. They each have their role in all that is but as a woman I "get" her.

Also, I think many hold her higher not only for that type of reason but because she's been denied(and is still) by many for so long they want to make sure she's given the honor and respect deserved.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Very well put Amaranth.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You're seeing the difference between reconstructionists and eclectics. For reconstructionists, there is an entire specific group (pantheon) of gods and goddesses who are worshiped with major and minor gods/goddesses. The major ones are worshiped equally. Most eclectics narrow down to a patron out of one or more pantheons, usually a goddess, and focus most of their energy towards her. From what I've seen there are very few reconstructionists around here, I can think of 3 off hand and I'm one of them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• NP, you make a very good point. I was having a hard time nailing it down but you got it right on!

The only other thing I can think to add is that when I refer to a specific God or Goddess I refer to them by name. If I'm going to call upon Apollo then I'm going to say that, not that I'm going to call upon God, for to me God is just a title.

Heck when folks say "does God do blah blah blah?" I drives me batty. Which God are you referring to runs through my head. lol And yes it's the same for the Goddess, but I tend to assume, that they are referring to the duotheistic God and Goddess pair, as long as the context holds up.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2009