Christians:Do you have blind faith? Do you know what your religion is about?

How many of you were born Christian and just continued with your parent's relgion without searching for the truth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thats a very good question. Even though it sounds like its far fetched...its not. MANY people deal with this. So first of all. I was not born a christian. I was born into a christian family and to a pastor. He was working on starting a christian school and by the time I was in 4k, it was established. I dont remember a lot about it, but I do know that it was very legalistic. You know that whole...girls cant wear pants, make up, or cut their hair. Had we continued in that type of church, I know I would have eventually rejected this. We moved and began attending a very large progressive church. CHurch isnt where I found God though. I grew up knowing all the lingo, all the prayers, all the terms. I could tell you many things about biblical theology, but what I didnt know was personal relationship. Somewhere along the line, I bought into the lie that because my father was so close to God and loved him that I automatically did too.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:31 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• So as I got into my 20's, I began to have my own adult issues that required something other than my fathers faith. Though he was a good example for me, I still had to find it all for myself, but I did have his help. He guided me and I dont know if I could have done it without him. I began to stop playing games with God and really get real about the issues that I was dealing with. I learned how all the things that I already knew really pertained to me and how they were real but I wasnt applying it. I learned the difference the head knowledge and heart knowledge. Then every year, I grew a little more and little more and when I realized that I could do this on my own and the principes of God really did work in my life. I also went through a process where I learned how to pin point where I had went wrong and allowed bad habits in my life and how to close those doors. That made all the difference. So while it once was..its not now
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My mother has a relationship with the Lord Jesus and believes that He died for her sins and is her Savior. She took me to church when I was young. I have also come to a relationship with the Lord Jesus. Yes, I consider myself to be well-read and have gone through a phase where I "searched for what is True" and Jesus was my answer! I pray that my son will also come to know Jesus as his Savior. This is not about following a "religion" that your parents "taught" you. This is about coming to know the Lord Jesus and developing a "relationship" with Him. It seems you are getting "religion" confused with what it really means to be a Christian.
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 9:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I was raised in church,but never took it very seriously. Mainly went because my Mom did, she never forced me,but I went anyway. In my teens, I went to be a part of the youth group,and with all my friends. When I got out of the house, I went with my 1st husband, to keep peace. Once that ended, my 2nd husband and I went for years,but then we got disillusioned. We were out of church for many years,until I hit my rock bottom,and knew we HAD to get back to God! That was the only answer for us. And, it was. This time, we were serious. We were both saved, as were our children,and we were all baptized. As I said, this time, I was serious,and my walk with God has reflected that. As to being "blind", nope. In fact, my eyes have never been so opened,as they are now,and have been the last 6+ years. I see everything more clearly,and for what it truly is moreso than I ever did before. I went into this with both eyes wide open,and still do.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I have faith, and some might call it blind, because some might say that I believe in something I can not see. But you can see evidence of God everywhere. My parents took me to church occasionally for several periods of time when I was very young. But I didn't come to know Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior until I was 27 years old. I was discipled along with my husband by my pastor, and I learned for myself what God had to say in His Word. So I have not been told what to believe. I have studied the Bible for myself and have believed accordingly.
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I was raised in a Christian home but when I was older I studied the Bible and came to my own conclusions. I do not believe in religion, that is man making his own way to heaven. I have a relationship with God and without Him life would be worthless.
    Anonymous

• My faith is certainly not blind .
    I was raised in a Christian home, but we were always encouraged to question, study, and develop our own beliefs, to come to our own understandings, and were not pressured by dogma or doctrine. Unorthodoxies and nonconformity was absolutely allowed and even encouraged in our home.
    This focus on personal understanding and this encouragement to dig deeply to form and understand my own conclusions has helped to shape the beliefs I have today, even though they're not exactly as my family believes.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• She didn't concentrate on strengthening our conformity to doctrine, dogma, or even religion - she wanted to strengthen our relationship with God, to fuel our passion for Him. That, to her, was all that mattered. How we believe about Him, how we understand Him, how we relate to Him, how we approach Him doesn't matter to her as much as how we love Him, deeply, truly, and completely, and how deep our passion flows for Him and the way in which we relate to Him, no matter how individual and personal it may be.
    This is probably one of the ultimate reasons why I embrace religious plurality/equality, why I believe all paths are from Him and lead to Him. My mother never told us that other religions were wrong, or pushed the belief that you HAVE to be a Christian to get to heaven. She taught us love and respect and compassion, to understand others and not judge or condemn them - to embrace them for who they are.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• She is why I am as I am, even without pressuring and conditioning me to be so.
    She didn't teach me to be a certain way, or tell me one way was better than any other - she didn't lead me down this road - didn't lead me to this path.

She opened the door, opened my heart, opened my mind, and fave me what I needed to start on my way towards choosing my path on my own.

=D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• *gave me, sorry (lol, i'm done now i promise, sorry)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2009