Those who believe in one God: Does science ever strengthen your faith?

I hear I dont believe in god because I believe in science a lot. Does it work the other way? do you believe in God because you believe in science?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Absolutely! I would recommend reading "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel if you have any questions.
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 9:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yes. There is a museum in Covington, KY called the Creation Museum. It answers many of the questions people have about God & science. One of the exhibits answers the question about dinosaurs and living millions of years ago. By science they can show how a coal miners hat that was left in an abandoned mine tested out to be around 3 million years old! There are other examples but I encourage people to check it out.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Science doesn't make me have stronger faith.. infact what makes me have stronger faith is reading the Quran over and over. But i do recognize that Allah has allowed for science to intellectually find out how and why things work and thus serve as a sign for us to see.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yes. When you believe that God was the creator of the laws of nature, it comes easy.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• The Creation Musem is not science - it's propaganda posing as science. (Review of the Creation Science Museuml)  And anyone can misue a tool - so that a scientific tool/method was misued to show how a hat tested incorrectly doesn't prove anything.  If you want to have faith in a 24-hour creation and a 6,000 - 10,000 year old Earth then you can have that faith! But don't mix that up with science.   Science overwhelmingly supports the fact the the Earth is over 10,000 years old.  You may not understand the science, you may want to ignore the science - but it's there.  (For example: Radio Metric Dating: A Christian Perspective.) 

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Science cannot prove or disprove the existance of God. For me understanding science doesn't necessarily increase my faith in God - but it means that I have a richer appreciation of the universe God created for us. The traditional arguments for the existence of God are much deeper and more reliable than the ones the people use science to try to make. Science is a tool to help us better understand the natural world - it doesn't deal with the supernatural. There's an interesting article called "Retelling the Story of Science" that talks how the conflict isn't between science and religion but materialism and religion.  And the article "

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Answered at 9:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 by:

* baconbits

bacon...
    Yes. There is a museum in Covington, KY called the Creation Museum. It answers many of the questions people have about God & science. One of the exhibits answers the question about dinosaurs and living millions of years ago. By science they can show how a coal miners hat that was left in an abandoned mine tested out to be around 3 million years old! There are other examples but I encourage people to check it out.

There is also one here in Texas, ran by Dr. Carl Baugh, a very learned, qualified scientist,as well as Christian. He's got some very interesting exhibits in his museum. We watched an interview with him that Kenneth Copeland did on his show. Dr. Baugh showed alot from his museum. I'd love to go and see it.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Science and Christianity co-exist; they are not exclusive. Science proves how awesome God is; it shows that there just has to be a divine Creator.
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• stvmen88 - Dr. Carl Baugh, a very learned, qualified scientist,as well as Christian.

Actually many people (even young-earth creationists) don't think Dr. Baugh is very learned or qualified. He doesn't have a science degree from an accedited university.  It appears that he granted himself a science degree from a branch of his own unaccredited Bible school.  Even Creationist organizations question his "science" (see this article).  He really is not a credible source at all - for people on either side of the discussion.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:31 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Absolutely, it CAN prove our God always! A few years back I read It Couldn't Just Happen. It's a book about the scientific proof of God's existence.

http://www.amazon.com/Couldnt-Just-Happen-Fascinating-Facts/dp/0849935830
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009