• In the Spotlight:

For those who support abortion rights

Do you believe that there is any point in pregnancy where the rights of the fetus overrule the rights of the mother? Of course, some people think that the fetuses rights always take precedence, others think the mother's rights always do. But most people think the rights of the fetus gradually increase with development until it reaches a point where it becomes unethical to kill it purely because the mother would prefer not to be pregnant (in the abscence of fetal abnormality and danger to the mother). What point (if any) do you believe the line should be drawn in favor of the fetus?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm pro-choice. BUT....to me, if you're already gone 7 months, why not go the rest of the way and adopt it out?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I don't believe the line should be drawn. I do agree that at some point the rights of the foetus do equal the rights of the mother but there's no way to set that point in stone.

I'd rather focus on removing the reasons that women choose not to continue a pregnancy (economic status, loss of work, access to adoption, etc.) than focusing on stopping abortions.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 9:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Not that anyone will agree, but, I think 20 weeks should be the cut-off. Before 20 weeks, it has no chance to survive. After 20 weeks, the chance is slim, but, no impossible. That's how I feel.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Me personally think before 10 weeks, of course the medical field say a fetus is unlivable outside the mothers body less than 20 weeks gestation or less than 500 grams in weight. I personally have never had an abortion nor have I been in the position to even think about having one, I don't think its right to take the women's choice away, but at some point a line does need to be drawn. Where that line is IDK, but it should not be used as a form of BC and I am talking about the small percent of women that have had several for that reason.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• once there is a heartbeat the baby is living.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I'm conflicted on this. I would say that a baby shouldn't be aborted late-term if it's ONLY because the mother doesn't want a baby and not for any medical reason......but I can't claim I know the exact situations, and if there was a law like that, I can't say someone (a mother or baby) wouldn't suffer because of it. So I'll say I don't agree with late-term abortion for anything other than medical reasons, but I don't think the government should be stepping in to make the decision.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:03 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Uh...anon...heartbeat or not...it wouldn't make it on the outside at 18 days after conception.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:05 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I agree.. once there is a heart beat.. the baby has a heart keeping it alive..
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I hope you can respect my opinion bradenlsmyson, even if you do not agree.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Do you people seriously believe there are all kinds of women out there who get late-term abortions just because it ruins their figure or something????? Come on! Give humanity (and motherly instinct) a bit more credit. And do you also believe the the docs who do it hate babies??? Do some research before condemning.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 5, 2009