Love Is?

Love is patient, love is kind. Love is not jealous, it does not put on airs, it is not snobbish. Love is never rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not prone to anger; neither does it brood over injuries. Love does not rejoice in what is wrong, but rejoices with the truth. There is no limit to loves forebearance, it's truth, it's hope, it's power to endure....

St Paul to the Corinthians

Is this how most Christians behave? How does this beautiful scripture, contradict what Christians are taught?

Gretchen2876

Asked by Gretchen2876 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Huh this bible quote was said at my wedding. i dont really get your question but I think the verse is beautiful and I dont always get there but I strive for it.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 10:42 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I don't think it contradicts what Christians are taught. It's human nature that drives Christians to go away from this teaching.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:44 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• To clarify. Based on the things that we see said by Christian moms here. Does their version of "Love", which is where most say their words come from, match the above scripture?
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9

Here's another one that makes me wonder
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• People cherrypick the Bible way too often. Anyone can twist any ONE verse from the Bible to fit their needs. It's sad.

But yeah, that verse really is pretty. I'm not a Christian but I've always liked it. Maybe I'll have it read at my wedding, I dunno.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:51 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• wow i still am lost. What does it matter what someone else feels what love means to them no matter what there faith is? Just because you say "I am Christian" doesnt mean they are all the same and carry themselves in the same manner.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 10:52 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• lostshel, now you're losing me, haha. If the Bible is inerrant, than that scripture is supposed to be the inspired words of God, correct? Based on that, why are so many Christians anything but loving, when they speak to others, or even eachother. IE: The True Christian game?
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• it doesn't contradict what xtians are taught at all. perhaps you've just run into one who was on her permanent period, or you just didn't click/were at odds personality-wise. a lot of times people on the opposite spectrum like to think a xtian isn't being xtian if they don't lay down like a doormat. in other words, if someone disagrees with you, and like you, likes to make their point known..does that automatically mean she/he isn't adhering to this scripture?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:59 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• yes, that is what I was tring to say lol
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 12:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Reminds me of my favorite quote from "Steel Magnolias". "I'm not a bad person. I've just been in a very bad mood for forty years!!" or something like that. Is it any wonder that christians are schizoid? Verses like these make them feel like every move they make is a "sin" and then the church reinforces the "We are right and everyone else is wrong and it's your duty to enlighten them into the 'truth' whether they want it or not." Meekness and love just don't go along with self-righteous and holier than ALL of thou!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2009