My son has serious sleep issues, is crying it out cruel or essential?

I have an 11 month old son, Cyrus who still cannot and will not sleep through the night.  He wakes almost every 3 hours just to be put back down or at times to feed.  I have been trying to let him cry it out for the last two nights and have found that he can literally cry the entire night, up until its almost time to wake up.  What can I do?  Oh btw, nap time is just as horrific!

myakita3

Asked by myakita3 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think CIO is cruel to a certain age. I let my son CIO when he was 9 months old cause he was playing games and knew what he was doing. He'd wake up shortly after falling asleep and refused to sleep until he got in bed with us. Once in bed he'd wake up again about an hour later sit straight up and start saying HI and climbing on us and wanting to play.. after a few nights in a row of this I finally said enough is enough. Put him back in his crib (with his blankey and binky) and let him CIO it only took my son 15 minutes and he fell asleep. I started doing this for naps and bed time. He's never cried more then 15 minutes although I know some kids cry muuuchhh longer. But since that night he has never woke up again in the middle of the night. I am a fan of CIO after a certain point. I think 9 months is long enough. The pediatrician told me its normal after 6 months for hte child to cry for an hour to hour and half when begining
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• this method. I don't know if I would have the heart to do that. He said put an Ipod on or something to drown out the crying. He said or just put some music on in the room and sit in his room til he crys himself to sleep but have something for yourself to drown the screaming. And it never killed a child to cry. :) GOod luck!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Both my kids were horrible sleepers. I tried once letting my daughter cry it out but it broke my heart and I couldn't do it. They are not manipulating they are needing something and don't know how to verbalize what they need. I eventually broke down and put them in my bed with me when they wouldn't sleep because I needed my sleep! You could also try a sleeping mat on the floor of your room if the in the bed thing is not for you. It could also be a temperature issue. Is he kicking off the covers and freezing in the middle of the night which is waking him? As for napping I never had good naps from my kids either. I guess some people are good sleepers and some just arent and we got the ones that aren't.
    lynda5

Answer by lynda5 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Oh btw my son never napped well until I did this. He'd only sleep for 20-30 minutes at a time when I'd lay him down and take multiple naps through out the day. But if I held him he'd sleep for 2 hours. Once I did the CIO he started taking 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour naps twice a day.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Well he is obviously not mature enough to sleep through the night yet if he is still waking for food or comfort. Some kids aren't ready to sleep through the night till they are around 2 or older!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think at this point CIO or bedsharing is essential, if you want to get some decent sleep. He is almost one can defintely has no nutritional need to be eating in the middle of the night. He is using it as comfort or is just used to it out of habit. If you do decide to do CIO I would reccomend that you get Ferber's book and read it and follow it to a t. You have to fully commit to CIO otherwise it will not work. You also have to be ready for some sleepless nights, but it will work. Many mother's do not agree with CIO so if you don't have the heart for it then don't even try it. Best of luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't allow it to that extent although I've never had my own, I've cared for a few babies, one of which developed a hernia from crying too much.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• CIO does not work for all babies. Some moms swear by it, but that doesn't mean that it will work for everyone. I tried it and my son cried for 30 minutes, slept for 20 and woke up and started screaming again!

Try The No Cry Baby Sleep Solution. It has lots of very interesting information about baby and adult sleep patterns. IT's not a specific method but it's got a lot of ideas and suggestions that you can pick and choose from to customize your own sleep plan for your baby.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yes, I'd let my kid do it. In my opinion, 11 mos. old is old enough to CIO. I let my 8 week old CIO because she refused to sleep in her own bed! I know some think that's very cruel of me, but it worked. Kids need tough love sometimes and crying doesn't hurt them. Waking that much at his age seems like too much! My 3 mos. old barely does that (and no, she's never slept through the night).
    Anonymous