Are private schools better than charter schools?

My 9 yr old will be going into the 4th grade next school yr & I plan on keeping her at her current school until she is in 6th grade.(its a good public school). Here in Oklahoma, middle school grades start at 6th grade & I honesty do not want her going to any public middle school or high schools just becasue I want her to fall into the wrong crowds & end up like me (pregnant at 15) & I really want her to do the absolute best she can, academically wise. Charter schools dont cost any money & I plan on sending her to one for grades 6-8th, then for high school send her to a good christian private school. I plan on saving money now until the time she is in high school to cover the cost of the private school. But i want to know.. are charter schools just as good as private schools? I dont have much experience, if any, on the subject so I'd like to hear from mom who do. What do you think of my academic plans for my daughter?

Lextacy

Asked by Lextacy at 10:41 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oops I was in a bit of a rush writing this post :-)
    * I DONT want her falling into the wrong crowds, is what I meant. LOL.
    * Ignore any other mistakes I may have made, thanks.
    Lextacy

Answer by Lextacy at 10:43 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Kids get pregnant by having sex, not by going to a particular school. The best you can hope for is that all you've taught her is held deep within her.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I totally agree, depending on where you live private/charter schools can be much better then public schools. Schools can have a lot of influence on your child. As far as which is better charter or private, that all depends on the school. If you go to GREATSCHOOLS.COM you can put in your area code and look at all the different schools and test scores. Also keep in mind that even though charter schools are free many expect you to donate a certain amount as a common curtsy. You should also make sure you put your child on the waiting list soon because many charter schools have a waiting list of a few years. Good luck and I hope the website helps.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Girs can get pregnant in a private school setting as well as a public school setting..As long as there are boys around it can happen..The only way it might not happen is if you send her to a all girls school or you home school her.If that is the only reason you are thinking of sending her to private school..Save your money..And just put her on some form of birth control.

Answer by louise2 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Thanks so much!! I will check out the website.
    Lextacy

Answer by Lextacy at 11:03 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Let me clarify.. my plans for sending my daughter to charter & private schools is NOT based alone on the fact that I dont want her getting pregnant at an early age. As michelle0228 mentioned & I totally agree with, public schools have a tremendous amount of influence on your child. Point blank. This is why I want her to attend the best school possible. I talk to my daughter frequently about sex. She is only 9, but in today's world, the reality is that girls are getting themselves into trouble at much earlier ages..like 12, 13.. and even as young as 10 or 11. My intentions are to guide my daughter to the best of my ability, to teach her not to make the same mistakes I did & to have a great school environment for her so she can achieve as much as she can because good colleges look for academic success as far back as elementary school.
    Lextacy

Answer by Lextacy at 11:10 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Sounds like you're on the right path, working off your own past. Guiding her is your best tool. I homeschooled, then did private school, then public school. No pregnancies, no drug/alcohol problems, no problems with the law, no detentions, etc. It wasn't about the schooling, it was about the parental guiding....as you mention. They're 29 & 26 now.....29 just getting married this year, no babies.....college and careers were priority for them.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:14 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I don't think being in a certain type of school will prevent a child from getting in the wrong crowd. Private and charter schools have their share of problems too. It isn't about the school, it is how your child is raised and their personality. I went to a private school for 9 years, then public middle and high school and I did fine. There is a private high school in my city that charges $8000 a year for tuition and they have a bigger drug problem than the 4 public high schools put together. There are some excellent public schools.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i have 2 daughter both out of college nosex drugsor rock an roll.they went to public schools.i see these girls who go to private catholic schools and there dresses are up to there butt cracks.whats that all about.you can send you kid to any school you want but if your not there for them it doesnt mean anything.so get off your high horse in into the real world you can get pregnant anywhere?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You are so right, stick with your instincts. There is no question that private/charter schools are generally better then public schools, and your daughter does have less of a chance falling in with the wrong crowds.. just look at statistics. Some times however public schools can be as good as private or charter. In high school I went t to 3 schools, a really bad public school, an ok private school and an amazing public school, the amazing public school was actually one of the very few public schools that tests higher then private schools, the catch however was that my mother had to get a house in one of the most expensive areas in our state to get me into the school and many people don't have that option. A good education is one of the best gifts you can give your child, good for you for knowing that. I agree that a good education is one of the smartest ways you can spend your money. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. :)
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009