• In the Spotlight:

Yo what's with "Rock-a-bye-baby" And why do baby's love it so much?

The lyrics are actually quite terrifying! "...The cradle will fall, and down will come baby, cradle and all..."! Yet babies everywhere love this song and drift off to dreamland when it's sung to them.... I just don't get it.... Just curious to see if I'm the only one who thinks about this sorta stuff... please comment:

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 10:44 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• lol i've thought about it too, my dd never liked being sang to but it's probally b/c i can't sing though :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It's the tone you sing it in. You typically say it softly while rocking. If you screamed it while tossing the child, I'm sure they wouldn't like it.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• lol are you talking about me? i didn't scream or toss my baby
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• haha yeah i'd guess that'd be true.... but even when they're a lil older, don't they eva listen to the words?
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 10:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i learned different lines: instead of "down will come baby cradle in all" I sing "and mommy will catch you cradle and all" !

my son likes that song. the rhythm is simple and it rhymes!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Oooo good idea, very creative of you Owl.... I like your version much better!
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:01 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• They don't understand the words, so if you sang the same tune softly, but said "blah blah blah blah blah blah.....they'd still like it.
    Think of when we teach ABC's. We sing it (Twinkle Twinkle Little Star tune). You're teaching them a song, not the letters.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:11 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• We used to sing "and I will catch baby cradle and all" I agree it is scary, but if you think about it a lot of nursery rhymes of old are scary too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:15 AM on Jun. 5, 2009