I'm confused?

How come ppl that call themselves christians don't practice what they preach? Ok I have seen so many times on here that someone posts that a person kills or rapes a child and so many say that the person should die or what not. Or something that has happend to me in person is how can I forgive someone that nearly killed my own child. Isn't that the "christian" thing to do. Fyi I forgave the person bc I don't feel I can walk around with those feelings in my heart. I would rather that person not have that kind of control over me. The other thing is I am not christian, I dont believe in religion

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "For He is coming, for He is coming to judge the earth. He shall judge the world with righteousness, And the peoples with His truth." Ps. 96: 13

So knowing that gives us peace. Things that happen are not just random acts that happen because of chaos. There is a God who sees what is going on and He will bring judgement. I believe that criminals should be punished here on earth in order to protect the rest of society. Ex. if someone has a problem and is inclined to abuse children the odds are that he won't just miraculously change, so I want that man to stay in jail for a looooong time and then be monitored closely for the rest of his life. Or like witchqueen said, cut it off, LOL : ) That was great!

But like you said, the anger and bitterness can consume you for the rest of your life. You can't go back and change the past, but you need heal and forgive so you can have peace in the future. That ability comes from God.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i believe in God, but it is hard for me to live a "christian life" because i don't think ppl who harm children deserve forgivness from anyone
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I believe you can forgive and still expect them to have to pay for what they did. Punishment and forgiveness are 2 different things...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It's easy to pay lip service to the old "love thy enemy" line, but a very hard thing for most people to do. But I think that the fact you can speaks volumes of you as a person :)
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Ya but by saying "they deserve to die" cause of what they did you are casting judgment and is that not your job. That is for god, not for us to do. It's soooo contradicting

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I'm a Christian and believe that you must forgive someone for the wrong they do. If someone were to harm my child it would be very hard but at the same time I would seek justice. God does tell us to follow the laws of the land. So if someone were to rape my child I would try to forgive them but at the same time believe it is ok to have them taken to trial and punished for what they did. I'm not saying this would be easy. I know that I would want to take them out back and string them up after deballing them but that's not what God would want of me.

I've questioned God many times when our grandson whom we were in the process of adopting was taken from us and placed back with his bd whom we have reason to believe is abusive to women. We had to leave it in his hands and let go. It's hard but that's what faith is all about.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• get over your beef..and forgive whoever you need to. its human nature to want revenge for wrongs. true, scripture says, 'vengence is mine, sayeth the lord'..and its a nice concept, one that even the most devout person would need tons of self-restraint and compassion to fully exhibit given a hienous (sp?) crime against their child or loved one. no one is perfect..don't expect them to be.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:04 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Thank you for sharing baconbits, and ajguinn i've never thought of it that way. I was just thinking about it and I think one of the reasons I was able to forgive her was god himself. (a little background) with the injuries my son had he should have been a vegetable or severally handicapped at the least, this came from the neurologist. My son I believe was given a miracle. The day after I was driving to go to court from the hospital (300 miles away) I was praying for my son to be ok, then I saw a rainbow. When I told my mom she told me she believed that it was a sign that he would be ok. Well he is actually advanced in his development and is now 4 1/2 this happend at 3m and the person got 7yrs in prison.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Jesus says there is no safe haven for those that harm the children. I cant be "christian" either, because Jesus did not preach what they preach today.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Jesus said that we are to forgive a man 70 times 7 when he wrongs us. That is not to say that we are supposed to stop at 490 times of forgiving a person, but that we should ALWAYS forgive.

Of course Christians should strive to be ever forgiving - that's what our Lord tells us. But that being said, we ARE human, and sometimes things are easier said than done - especially when something horrible is done to us like rape, murder of a family member, abuse, etc.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 5, 2009