Cereal, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3?

My son's doctor already told me I could go ahead & introduce him to rice cereal. So... What's next? How do I know to go from cereal to stage 1? from stage 1 to stage 2? stage 2 to stage 3?

mama-hippo

Asked by mama-hippo at 10:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stage 1 and 2 are the same thing, just different sizes. I went straight to stage 2 and gave my baby half one day and half the next. How old is your baby? I started my baby on solids other than rice cereal at 6 months. Your baby can go to stage 3 usually when he starts crawling. That is also a good time to introduce finger foods.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Its diffrent textures and thickness. Thats all.
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 10:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I understand that it's different textures & thickness. My son is 3 months old & wants more than his cereal & formula. I know that when I talk to older people they tell me that thier kids were on regular baby food by 3 months. I've went by what the doctor has said for cereal, but I'm wondering if I can try to start him on stage 1.
    mama-hippo

Answer by mama-hippo at 11:03 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I would not start stage 1 food at 3 months. And I think your doctor would agree if you ask him. His little tummy cannot handle food yet. He is only 3 months and does not know other food exists so he can't be wanting it. I would try giving him bottle more often throughout the day. I would even hold off on the rice cereal. Babies should eat cereal off a spoon (unless medically necessary to be in the bottle) and at 3 months he should still have the tongue reflex and spit the cereal back out. Don't rush things, it will go by fast enough! GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 5, 2009