Does anyone have trouble with "clique" moms?

When my daughter was younger I became friends with lots of her friends moms she's 15 now but the moms and I still talk occasionally and are friendly. However, the moms of my son's friends( he's 9) are really not friendly with me. I've tried but its like trying to get into a clique in high school. They are all super friendly with each other and will even look right past me and ignore me or if they are talking with me as soon as someone "better" comes along they just walk away. Maybe its because I am a little older (48) than most of them. I don't know. It makes me feel badly.

lynda5

Asked by lynda5 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Some moms are rather "cliquish" and it's so ridiculous, I just roll my eyes at them and laugh LOL The same thing has happened to me at playdates and it use to "hurt my feelings" til I realized it's not me with the problem, it's them for being rude.

I wouldn't let it get to you. At least you have acquaintances in your daughter's class. Don't waste your time on them. Seriously. It's not worth getting bothered by it because clearly they have some goofy "standards" that require them to say a simple hello how are you today to certain people. I don't think you want to be friends with people like that anyway.

I will say this, I would volunteer at my sons' school and that helped find some nice moms and even office staff who were really nice. So if you have time to do that, try volunteering. Not only will it help you meet new people, but it will also make your son happy to see you visit.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It maybe they don't have anything in common with you and you being older is probably one of the reasons.Next time I would really make a effort to get to know them if being friends with them is really important to you.I would get dressed up and wear some pretty jewerly or something else that could potentially start a conversation but also it would make you feel better about yourself.Personally,if someone is so shallow like that they're not good friends,so even if you become friends with them there's a chance they'll leave you again.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 11:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• screw them if they dont like u....im young (20)and i have no mom friends...and th emom i do kno r snobby kind of....like i kno my sons half brothers mom but thats cus i met her thru my sons fathers family....but other that im not friends wit any1 cus some are jus plain snobs...yea there all kool wit there friends but then wen ur around its like ohhh hey....but realy forget about them u have friends that care for u and also family do u realy need them...jus keep being nice to them or hey blow them off hahaha
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• ya when my older girls were younger i made friends with all there moms.now with my 9 yr old its a whole different ball game.these woman are entitled .to what ?i dont know.i have just as much money as they do?that shouldnt matter bythe way.my daughter played soccer it was awful.the travel moms against the not so good players.then at the games i asked my husband wtf???so i asked my 30 yr old daughter and she agreed yes its a fashion show,its all about the makeup and clothes.she says mom get dressed up and put on make up and see what happens.my question is why does it have to be like that.i mean dont dress like a mess either.i am sorounded by woman who fit this criteria.they wont come near me.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I am only 36 but am the oldest mom in my sons 1st grade class. Most of the moms are 24-25 and have made sure that I know I am old and not welcome on the playground after school. I sit on a blanket away from them so my son can still play and read. They make fun of me and are very rude. I have chalked it up to their age and the fact at my age I look better than they do. I am 5'8" weight 129lbs and am very athletic looking. I run 5-6 marathons a year and have to stay in shape for it. They are always usually talking about my appearance and to me it is amusing. A mom of a 5th grader has befriended me and told me at this school the moms are cliquish most went to high school together and act no different now. We are moving my son to a different schol in a more affluent area where most of the moms are my age. I know two of the moms at my sons new school she said they all get along great and the kids are wonderful.
    Anonymous