• In the Spotlight:

Swine flu question.

My aunt’s children are sick I think they have the flu. I asked my aunt if she has taken them to the doctors she said no. She said that the doctor’s office is not seeing any people that have flu like symptoms in case it’s the swine flu. Is this true? She lives in Massachusetts. Is she just being lazy or is this true. Her kids are very sick.

BabayBella

Asked by BabayBella at 11:24 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (-12 Credits)
  • She could always take them to the ER, but the swine flu, is just the flu. It's like the other flus that go around in the winter, only cure for them is time.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:26 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• 99% of the time, flu is something you can get over with just taking it easy and getting plenty of fluids. Mostly, old folks, young babies, and those with compromised immunities can die, but, most of the time...it isn't fatal. Media made it out way worse that it is. I have had Flu many times.....
    You feel like you wanna die...but, you don't.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• So the doctors are not allowing them in the office? Thats what im wondering.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 11:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Dont most children take medication for it?
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 11:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• They are probably sick of all the crazy people rushing in and trying to get in first and acting like Flu trumps anu other illness. I would tell them to just stay home and take it easy if I were a doctor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Only Tamiflu and it only lessens the flu, it doesn't cure it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Do NOT just take them to the ER or doctor. She must call first and see what the doctor says. The Swine Flu is no worse than the regular flu. If the doctor said for the kids not to go in and to get rest, then that is what they should be doing. They need to stay hydrated and that is about all that can be done for any flu.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• No matter what kind of flu they have shouldn’t they go see a doctor?
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 11:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I would imagine that it is a load of bull that your aunt is giving you.

The whole thing about the H1N1 strain (formally known as the swine flu) is that it is having fatal effects on the people it shouldn't - the healthy people in their early 20's and 30's, and that is a major reason it has been such a concern.

However, here in Northern Cali, our local health department has stopped accepting samples to test for H1N1 unless the patient has a cough AND a fever, not just one or the other, but that doesn't mean that the doctor's aren't still seeing their patients.

If they have a fever, tell her to take them in with the symptom of persistent fever, instead of saying she thinks they have the flu. If its just a cough and generally feeling yucky, then leave it alone and relax.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2009

• the only type of med for the flu, other than Tamiflu, is only pallative care, meaning to treat the symptoms. Unless they are on their death bed sick, no reason to take them to the doc, they will get over it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2009