Should a parent of an autistic child have the child evaluated for gastrointestinal problems?

Psychologists believe that these problems are psychosomatic and should be left alone. Do you have an autistic child and have you ever took her/him to a GI Doctor or are there any other kind of specialists who could help with this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Since they don't know what causes all forms of autism and since many parents (not all) have had good luck with minimizing their child's autism by altering diets, what can it hurt? If I had a child with autism, I'd look into anything and everything I could. I'd probably track good days and bad days and compare that to what the child ate to look for patterns. If I saw or suspected a link, I'd take my charts to a GI doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I did. And we went to an allergist too because a lot of digestive problems can be corrected by eliminating foods that the children are allergic to.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• At the very least, your family should be on the Feingold diet: www.feingold.org

Answer by rkoloms at 1:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My son sees a GI doc and yes, he has autism, but he also has some other medical issues that require a GI doc's care. However, I know many families that have benefitted from dietary intervention (my own included) and there are studies out there that show a link between diet & certain symptoms, so it is definately worth a "look see". Granted, not every child will benefit from the same types of interventions, but if there is even a small chance doing something as simple & harmless as changing your child's diet could improve his or her life, wouldn't you want to give it a chance?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I say it is up to the parents. I do not buy the whole every child with autism has a digestive problem thing especially since Europe proved autism is genetic. I have autism and I had to go see a GI when I was a teen but that was because I was getting an ulcer due to other issues in my life. Other than that I have no other issues. Therefore, I will not subject my sons to those tests.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009