When did you first introduce the bottle while breastfeeding

Asked by tammybabymama at 2:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 3 weeks. I would say if you are going back to work that you probably want to try introducing it asap! You want your LO to get used to it. Do you have bottles already? What brand are they? I use Avent b/c they have the best reviews for being most like the boobies :)

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 2:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• From the beginning. My kids knew breast and bottle.

Answer by Navy_Wife_Tisha at 2:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I waited till 6 weeks with my son and I think that was too long. he's 7 months and never has taken a bottle. I even struggled to get him to take a sippy cup. I think that you should introduce a bottle as soon as your infant has mastered breastfeeding if you think you will ever want them to take one. Some people think that it's easier to only bf, but I promise there will be a time when you just want the baby to take a bottle. Either your boobs will be so sore that you just can't feed, or you'll be so exhausted and want your hubby to give baby a bottle, or you'll want a date night with get the point. I hope it all works out!

Answer by sbailey at 2:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Although I was worried about nipple confusion, I actually gave my son a bottle of pumped milk within the first couple of weeks. I did have some pain when nursing, and pumping gave my nipples a break.

Also, in the very beginning, my son was wanting to nurse every 30 mins to an hour, and if we wanted to go out, if was near impossible for me to get ready. If I pumped, my dh could feed him the bottle, and we could also feed him on longer trips without pulling off the road.

Now that he is older and nursing less often, I rarely pump.

So, if you are going to buy bottles, I wouldn't buy many, and find ones that are BPA free of course.

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 3:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• at the hospital because milk supply didn't come in yet and at home

Answer by mommytobe24 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You don't ever have to. I didn't.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• thanks for all the replies it really helped

Answer by tammybabymama at 2:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Never. I am lucky to be a SAHM, so there was no reason to. My daughter is still nursing at 2 1/2, and has never had it any other way except from the tap. :)

Answer by milkMama25 at 2:24 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I had to go back to work when DS was 7 weeks (part time), but I had him on the bottle @ about 3-4 weeks.

Answer by lionslambs at 1:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2008