My 10 year old...

My son is adhd and odd, but this morning he stole 50 from my wallet and left while I was sleeping. I woke up with him gone and my wallet on the floor so I ran to all the stores I could find that I knew he would go. I returned home to find him walking to another store. Turns out he came home opened all his toys and a video from the stores and then took him self to the Dairy Queen. I grounded him to the house and to his room (for sure while I calmed down. What would be a fitting punishment or chore he can do because He thinks I am sorry takes care of everything....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would make him work his little a$$ off until he can pay you back! Ohhhhh my if my son stole money out of my purse that would be it! If you need something done around the house, such as cleaning, taking out the trash, cutting the grass, etc. make him do it! He's gonna be pretty busy for A LONG time to get to $50.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Holy Cow! I don't know what I would do if my 10yo did stuff like that.... I don't even know where to begin on giving you advice for that! Are there any places you can go with him to get some professional intervention/counseling?

Good Luck to you....

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I agree with ASH...chores are a must, meanwhile cut him off from the world..no tv phones. games..whatever, see if you can return the games to get store credit for them (thatd be a nice gift for when he behaves)....and other than that..i dont know..but Sorry DOESNT cut it...stealing is BAD and so is going off without telling you..
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Is this the first time he's done this? If not, I would take him to the police station with all the stuff he stole. He stole the money from you so it is all stolen property, from you.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Don't ever allow yourself to excuse him from responsibility because of his ADHD and ODD. My stepson 12 has both ADHD and ODD and we NEVER let him use them as an excuse...he tries, boy does he try - and his mom not only lets him use the excuse, she excuses him herself! But we don't want him to ever grow up thinking for one second he can do what ever he wants, and then say "Oh, I couldn't control myself because of my ADHD and ODD" or "I am sorry I robbed the bank, but I have ADHD" -- I mean, really, make him responsible now...my guess is that he rarely, if ever, forgets anything that is important to HIM, right? For my SS, he never forgets his video games, but he always forgets his homework....KWIM?
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• maybe make him give all the toys back that he bought. if the stores let him return them then make him return them and make him tell the person the reason he is returning the toys is because he stole from you. that way he loses the toys and hopefully will be embarrassed by having to tell people why he has to return them. and maybe just take away all fun stuff for a while to let him know you are seriously disappointed. but still give him lots of love every one makes mistakes they just need to learn from them.
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I agree with the other people make him do all of the chores around the house, and help him to get a lawn mowing job in the neighborhood to pay you back I'm sorry just doesn't cut it anymore after so many times. He needs to learn to take responsiblity for his actions ADHD is no excuse for stealing.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 5:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Where do you live that a 10-year-old can walk to stores unattended and no one questions it? The store manager should have called the police for an unattended underage youth, returned him to you or contacated you to pick him up, and nipped this in the bud.

The stores will not take back opened videos but toys? maybe.
    terry6202

Answer by terry6202 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2009