Why are you shy?

I always wondered why people are shy. Do you feel it just the way you are and will always be? Does it bother you or are you fine with it? Would you like to be more outgoing? Are you nervous about something? Do you not feel 'good enough'? Do you think it is your parent's fault?

I am have been told I am very out going. I am scared to death on the inside at times, and at times I feel way out of my league... but I still go forward head held high, speaking clearly, and making eye contact..... why let anyone else know how I really feel. And after a while I usually find that the people I meet are nice and I had nothing to fear from the get go.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I just feel awkward around people I don't know and so I try to avoid being around new people. But I have changed a lot since I started taking my son to play group. I still get nervous but I make myself go for my son.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 1:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I'm socially akward, so I feel in order to save myself from embarassment I just don't say anything.
    Anonymous

• im outgoing with people i know..but by myself or around new/strange people im verrry shy..its like my brain turns off and i cant think of anything to say..i wish i wasnt like that, because i feel like im setting a bad example for my daughter (5). i dont really have that many friends, and my daughter never goes on play dates, based on the fact that i dont know anyone with kids, so i take her to the park as often as i can, pretty much every day that the weather permits, she goes to preschool, but like everytime i drop her off all the kids are there playing, and then she'll go and play by herself, and i start feeling so bad. and when shes home shes so outgoing, never stops going all day long, very outgiung, very loud, but again, at preschool shes all shy, and totally not herself..so yaaa i hate thaty im that way, because i reallllly dont want it rubbing off on her. im trying to get better with it..but, its hard..and scary!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Just having the illusion that you are confident and know what you are about goes a long way. Even if you are freaked out on the inside if you can manage to appear confident and out gowing it is half the battle.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I have social anxiety disorder. :) I do just fine online, but interacting with people face to face or over the phone, esp people I don't know, scares the crap out of me. I don't like it at all -- I wish I could be more social but I just feel soooo awkward!! It doesn't help that just about every social setting I've been to I tend to say something and feel really stupid later.
    RCrohn

Answer by RCrohn at 3:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2009