I need help dealing with a phobia.

I am scared to death of bugs. I just had an episode while taking the garbage out, some kind of bug landed on me and I flipped out. Has anyone on here dealt with a phobia similar to mine? Any suggestions or advice how I can overcome this?

Summer is coming, and I want to be able to enjoy it, instead of being scared all the time. Thanks for your time in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Health

• find a harmless bug and hold it. you're just going to look like a nut in public dear, they're just bugs.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• What is it about bugs that bothers you?Do you have other problems with anxiety?I would explain this to your doctor and take a anti-anxiety medication if you are not able to deal with this alone but continnue to talk out your fears it works just as well.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 1:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• A couple of short hypnotherapy sessions, and even a phobia-reduction cd, will help.

Phobias are just the result of people believing what they think. Change your thinking and you'll find that the fear is first of all 'over there' even though you're still aware of it, and then you'll notice that it's just gone and it's been a while since you thought about it.

Pretty much the same way phobias develop, only in reverse.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:31 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• This know! You will always be bigger than that bug. Next, know that your shoes are very powerful against bugs. Then get some good bug spray try getting a spray bottle filling it with water and adding a little tea tree oil and shaking then spray around your bed at night etc. If you don't like the smaell you can add some lavender ess. oil. If you are interested in any herbals let me know you can find the oils at my web site if you want.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 1:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I can't stand ROACHES. I won't sleep if there is a roach or spider anywhere in sight. The only thing I can think of is hypnotherapy. Are you bothered by every insect?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I don't have a problem with flies or ants, but any other bug scares me. It's the thought of them landing on me and/or possibly biting me that creeps me out so much. And I'm scared of the way they move sometimes.. like all twitchy. If that makes sense lol.

I'll check into buying a CD... that is an interesting solution.
    Anonymous

• Therapy

Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2009