my 3 year old got into my nail polish and poured it all over my micro fiber couch how do i handle her i am so mad

i am so mad and need to know how to handle this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Walk away. Go into the bathroom or some room and take a time out. Remember that she is only 3 and yes it sucks that it's on the couch, but it's not the end of the world. Things happen. She may not understand what a big mistake it was. So my best suggestion is to take a time out for yourself and when you have cooled off, then talk to her about what she did and how she shouldn't be playing with your nail polish and in the future she will be punished for it.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Ask yourself 'why was nail polish where she could reach it, and whose job is it to supervise a 3yo's behaviour?' Yes, a great majority of the time they don't get into any kind of trouble when they're unsupervised... and sometimes they have surprising originality in the things they explore and the ways they explore them. The only way to prevent it that I know of is to actually supervise them all the time.

The solvents for nailpolish are acetones and whatever is in those non-acetone polish removers -- both are very likely to not only bleach but damage the fabric of your couch.

Of course, it's a couch. It doesn't have a heart or any self-esteem at all. Sooner or later it would be trash-- one philosophy I've always enjoyed as a mother is to see the precious, valuable and inanimate objects as 'already broken.' When I know it's inevitable (no couch lasts forever), I'm more accepting when it's sooner rather than later.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My son has never played with nail polish but he has gotton into things the he new from the get go was not ok and obviously against the rules. When he does this the first time I sit and we discuss why its not ok to do what he did. Then the next time if it happens I "throw away" 1 matchbox car (his favorite thing in the entire world) for every minute it takes me to clean up the mess he knew was wrong to create. Even though I don't actually pitch toys since thats a waste of money I make sure he sees me placing them in a clean trash bag and then when he's asleep either at night or nap I place them up in my closet and pull them out weeks later when he's forgotten so he in his mind the cars were thrown away. One time he colored on my walls and this was the punishment for said crime, and he never colored on the wall again. This also helps teach kids to take responsibility for their actions.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• First of all how did your 3 year old get into nail polish? If YOU would have had it up high and out of her reach she would not have gotten into it in the first place. If anything you should be mad at yourself and not at her, after all she's only 3 years old. You need to take responsibility for your own actions, your responsible for everything! Not a 3 year old! What if she would have drank the nail polish? You need to watch her more closely and start keeping things out of reach! Its not hard!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jun. 10, 2009