Ask yourself 'why was nail polish where she could reach it, and whose job is it to supervise a 3yo's behaviour?' Yes, a great majority of the time they don't get into any kind of trouble when they're unsupervised... and sometimes they have surprising originality in the things they explore and the ways they explore them. The only way to prevent it that I know of is to actually supervise them all the time.
The solvents for nailpolish are acetones and whatever is in those non-acetone polish removers -- both are very likely to not only bleach but damage the fabric of your couch.
Of course, it's a couch. It doesn't have a heart or any self-esteem at all. Sooner or later it would be trash-- one philosophy I've always enjoyed as a mother is to see the precious, valuable and inanimate objects as 'already broken.' When I know it's inevitable (no couch lasts forever), I'm more accepting when it's sooner rather than later.
at 1:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009