Is it true that the 2nd time around is easier???

I heard that its easier to give birth the second time around, and that it usually takes less time... is that true?

xXAdrianXx

Asked by xXAdrianXx at 1:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Every pregnancy is different. You're not the same age as you were the first time, you already have a child occupying your time and who has changed who you think you are. Your body has experience it didn't have, and the baby you'll get the second time is not the baby you got the first time.

First pregnancies are no indication of how the second pregnacy or delivery will be. Some women have very similar experiences every time, some have very different experiences every time. You can't find out which you'll get until you get them...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I was lucky in that both my deliveries were fairly easy, but the 2nd was definitely quicker. That being said, the 2nd *pregnancy* is harder IMO. You're not spending your evenings in the tub reading pregnancy books and getting your toes painted and being waited on hand and foot. You're chasing a toddler and for whatever reason, no one treats you like the special pregnant queen they did the first time, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• To me it is was easier because I knew what was going to happen. Not that it took less time.. Every pregnancy is different,,child birth is the same.

Answer by louise2 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• wirth some people the 2nd time is easier/quicker then for others it takes longe and is harder...it depends on the mom and the baby...
    Anonymous

• I think in general labor is supposed to progress faster the second time....and you have some idea of whats going on. I'm sure you'll pack better :)
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• ha ha ha.....whoa I just fell of my chair.......
    Um no not always. My first birth was so easy. only a few hours of labor, no drugs & my son just nicely slid right out so easy........I was ready to have another child 5 minutes after giving birth to him.......
    My second......total opposite. I kept having false alarms with him. Very hard labor much longer than the first. I tried to go drug free again...but nope I was begging for anything they would give me!! I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. he got stuck too far down for a C-section. he was sunny side up the Doctor had to reach in & roll him over. That was fun (sarcasm) He didn't want to come out (i pictured him with his arms & legs braced against the birth canal walls screaming no no I don't want to leave here !!! They had to use a vacuum to get him out with me pushing & a delivery nurse sitting on my stomach helping to push him out from on top of me. memories..
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• justgrape
    I got a little queasy at the pushing on your stomach part.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My first 2 pregnancies were about the same. No morning sickness & I still had tons of energy. My labors were both about 11 hrs long but my second was a lot easier to push out. This pregnancy [I had a miscariage between baby #2 & this pregnancy.. But this will be my 3rd baby] I have NO energy & horrible morning/noon/night sickness.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My first was a breeze! Only only five hours forty minutes, 45 minutes of pushing. No problem and I felt great! My second.....oh boy. The labor was short, 5 hours, but I was in soooo much pain! He was facing up instead of down and I pushed for two hours. FINALLY, he came out and I was exhausted. My body ached all over from the stress of pushing so hard. Yikes!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Like everyone has said every pregnancy is different. With my son i was in labor for 22 hours and pushed for 30 minutes, with my daughter i was in labor for just under 12 hours and also pushed for 30 minutes. I was extemely sick the whole time i was pregnant with my daughter though and have been so far with this one and i am only 10 weeks along ugh!

So to answer your question, it all depends on the person and pregnancy.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 5:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2009