No one I know has heard of this

My 2 1/2 almost 3 year old has been potty trained since she was one. I had another baby in October and now and she is having accidents. Well not just accidents but taking her clothes off and pooping on her floor in her room. I am frustrated I don't know what to do to get her back on tract. I know its for attention. I have tried having her clean it up and that just gave her the idea to clean it up so I didn't know about. Have tried rewarding for going potty in the toilet and taking things away for going on the floor. Please help. I understand accidents but she does this on purpose. She even pee on her big brothers bed because she was mad at him.

kkhotmama

Asked by kkhotmama at 1:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• whoop her butt
    Anonymous

• o boy! i would keep reminding her that she is a big girl, and i would threaten to put a pampy on her like a baby if she didnt quit it...my son kinda gave me a problem for a while, some people think im too harsh but sometime you have to be:) my oldest is 7 and still cant manage to keep the bowl clean...so i just embarrass him and it makes him think twice..lol
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Take her to the doctor... although the timing is suspect, she may have an infection or something that causes the accident. As far as the acting out and going on brother's bed, it is a call for attention no doubt. Try the Love and Logic approach of... " we can not have people in this house who are able to use the bathroom, not using the bathroom. If you continue to go to the bathroom (in your room on brother's bed) you will get (something she likes) taken away and then for every time after that I will take something else away"
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If you know she's communicating that she needs more attention, wouldn't the simplest, most respectful answer be to give her more attention?

It seems to me that your creative and intelligent little one has struck upon a very, very effective way of communicating. If you eliminate her need to communicate her frustration and anger through her body and enable her to communicate both through her words and facial expressions (I mean, say the words for her as you watch her face to see how she's feeling) this behaviour will abate because it will become unnecessary for her to feel she's getting her point across.

She cannot survive without your attention. You can't make her stop needing your attention, so my advice is always to just give it to them in whopping great bucketsful to stop them needing to wrestle it out of you while you resist giving them what they need. Mostly 'cause they're more determined and have nothing else to do.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I agree with the above poster. I completely disagree with stressing "you are a big girl". She isn't! She needs a lot of reassurance and to be told that she is your baby and will always be your baby. Have a heart to heart and repeat daily if necessary. Tell her if she has an accident like that she won't get the extra attention and a special outting with mommy. Then heap HUGE attention on her like "you didn't go potty anywhere but the potty today" in the middle of the day or mid-morning. Then say "that is so great that mommy can rely on her special girl!"
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 1:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Also, she didn't decide to suddenly be labled "big" because you decided to have a baby. She is an age where it dramatically changed her world. She needs to know that you GET that she still needs a lot from you.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 1:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• This is very common. I know your frustrated but you need to give her time to adjust too. She didnt decide to have a brother and now shes regretting it. You decided this for her and yes, she is still a baby. I would reinforce what she already knows and plan some special time with her. Above that...thats all you can do. This will stop in time. Just give her time.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2009