What are baking apples???

No question is stupid, it would be stupid not to ask.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• apples you bake
    Anonymous

• OK, lol, but then why do people write baking apples when the write a recipe down. What is the diffrence? If any
    Anonymous

• Well, many people bake apples differently. You can use different varieties of apples also. Some people put brown sugar, butter, raisins, or red hots (hard cinnamon) candy into recipe....anyway, you can cook them to your own taste. :-)

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Baking apples hold their shape better than sauce apples. So if you want to bake a pie, a cobbler, or baked apples, you'll choose an apple that holds its shape so it doesn't get too mushy- which would be a baking apple. Mackintosh is one I like for baking, but then I also use it for sauce- I cook it and then mash it up with a fork or potato masher to get a lumpy applesauce.

Answer by Bmat at 1:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Why don't you just make it simple make peach cobbler

1. box of white cake mix
    2. a stick of butter
    3. one can of peaches

Pour can of peaches into pan pour white cake mix over the peaches (a layer) of this then cut butter in to little slices all over the cake mix then stick in oven and bake 30 min. at 350. or until it is golden and whalah serve hot or with ice cream mmmm! delicious..............GL
    I know you asked about baking apples but this came to mind...sorry
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Bmats answer!! Baking apples are the TYPE of apple. not too sweet and hold up well and dont turn into mush. 2 types readily avaible are Granny smith and Macintosh.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Exactly as chefjen states - Granny Smith and MacIntosh.
    I love to use the tart Granny Smiths in all my baking so that it balances with the sweet ingredients. The ingredients you add also become more savory upon the palate, but that's just my opinion. :)
    Enjoy!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2009