I don't know what else to try to get my 3 year old to poop in the potty!

3 years old and VERY stubborn with everything..not just potty training. She has been going pee in the potty for a little while now, but still sometimes has accidents. But she refuses to go poop in the potty. Will fight me badly if I try to put her on the potty to just try. I have tried treats, wrapped presents, upcoming potty party if she goes 5 times, a sticker chart. I have even taken her to her preschool (she's enrolled for the fall) to get a tour and the director telling her she can't go if she poops in her pants. I have taken her to the doctor and had him tell her about pooping. She has older friends who have talked to her.
I have also stopped even talking about it to her for days. I try to have no reaction when she poops in the potty so it's not an attention thing. And now she refuses to wear pullups for sleeping but she has accidents every nap and night.
I'm desperate. Please Help! It's already been two months!

LilyBridger

Asked by LilyBridger at 1:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This will not likely completely answer your question but heres a few new things to try: First, check her diet. If she's pooping in her sleep, then likely she's holding her bowels which also means she has the ability to release. In her foods, I would be sure that she's only getting water to drink. Sugar drinks and sugar, period, sludges up the bowels and makes them messy. Next, I would be sure she's getting plenty of protein at each meal. Snacks in between keep her tummy being empty and keeping her from being hungry enough to eat the good food you offer. Serve lots of fresh summer fruits along with good veg. and protein and again lots of water to drink all during the day and with the meals.

Next, make it your plan to never mention this problem again. Simply get up one morning and say gently, lovingly and with a fun tone, but also firm: "We are going to begin wearing big girls panties today." Put away the pull ups.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Now, today, after a good breakfast (not pancakes, cereal and danishes, but eggs, meat, fruit and bread), have her help you clean up the kitchen and then very systematically take her to the bathroom with yourself. You sit on your toilet and move your bowels, never making any mention, just make it common and without event. If she doesn't use hers, make no mention and send to play or continue to have her help you do some light chores.

Later on, or after a good lunch and fun at the table, do the above again. Of course, you might not move your bowels again, but sit there just a few min. having nice conversation or none at all and then go out again. Do this everyday for about 3 days and longer if necessary. This routine of moving the bowels in the morning really works. After a few days she'll likely need to go every morning and it will be a no brainer. The human body acts best with a good routine. And this is one of them.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Thank you so much for answering my question! Your idea about taking her with me every morning after breakfast sounds great. I've tried to do that before, but not on a consistent basis. I'll try and keep my fingers crossed that after a few days she might start falling into a rythm. :)
    LilyBridger

Answer by LilyBridger at 8:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2009