what is the difference between welfare and food stamps??

the ONLY government program im on is wic.. and with all these post abt food stamps and welfare... im confused..my family is struggling at this point but we are making it through help of my mother... can u get welfare if your married???....ive tried for food stamps but my husband makes commison so one ok check makes us not eliligable.. these programs are kinda of confusing...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• Food stamps is just a specific form of welfare.
    Anonymous

• Welfare is money to help you with bills, rent, etc.
    Food Stamps used to be money coupons but are now a plastic card with which you can buy food products only

Yes you can get welfare if you are married, food stamps too, it simply depends on your household income and how many kids are in the house.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• and yes you can get welfare if youre married but you also need to report any help you are getting (which includes the help from your mother) and that may affect your eligibility. If you dont report it and they find out you could go to jail and/or have to pay it all back
    Anonymous

• TANF is cash assistance. You have to work or go to school o rsomething for at least 30 hours a week. I get $400 a month for me and my daughter. I was told I could not have a job and get TANF. So that means $400 is all I get. My sister helps me out by covering some of my rent. I drive my mother's car and use internet from my sisters job. It's supposed to cover things like toilet paper, toothpaste, deoderant, rent, utilities. It obviously covers squat. Lucky for me I came across a yard sale where a woman was a packrat and had tons of shampoo to toilet paper to pads still in their original packaging.

We get $360 in food stamps which usually we use half of that because I cook from scratch. Food stamps only covers food items. I wish they would lower food stamps and give me more TANF.

I get free daycare and free LPN school (which is why I quit my minimum wage job so that I would qualify for TANF and get free school).
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Both DD and I get medicaid. Thank God because DD has had to have some expensive tests and no way would I have been able to pay for insurance and the tests.

These are all the services that I can think of for now that I consider welfare.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• like moonlover said medicaid is a blessing I atleast know my daughter is taken care of. However I'm suddenly not able to get any medical help for myself they said I make too much money at my job kind of hard to see where they're coming from on this one my boss refuses to work me fulltime because I'm pregnant and it's a pretty physically demanding job not too mention crappy pay to begin with. On top of that I have no other insurance to turn to they told me to cancel all prenatal care until I could pay cash very confused and at a loss right now.
    Anonymous

• Welfare is another way of saying public assistance. Foodstamps are considered welfare, as is WIC, cash assistance, medicaid, unemployment, daycare, ect. There is more that I am forgetting.
    Anonymous

• Personally, I do not consider WIC to be welfare.
    Anonymous

• WIC is welfare. It's for the welfare of women, infants, and children. It's a government program. Welfare.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009