Ultrasound results...

O.K, I just had my 1st "real" ultrasound & the Dr. called me & told me she found some "common anomolies". She said she saw an epigenic(sp?) focus on the left ventricle in the heart-this could possibly mean my baby will have Downs Syndrome-& she found something with the kidneys. She also said that these go away in 90% of the cases they see them in, but, wow, it's so stressful & worrisome. I obviously need to go in for another more in-depth ultrasound & possibly have an amneo, but I was wondering if anyone else had this happen or has ha a similar situation and has any words of encouragement for me. I'm worried & scared & hafta wait about a week for my next ultrasound...any info or anything would be helpful. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• don't worry a bit, 90 percent is huge.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I personally have not experienced that myelf, however I wish you the best of luck.
    all babies are blessings, no matter what.
    congrats on your pregnancy!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I understand your worry. I did not experience this. TRY to stay focused on the joy of pregnancy right now and don't read too much about it until they know more. Think of this...if the weather man said there was a 10% chance of showers, would you take an umbrella and cancel your walk on the beach? Probably not.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 1:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• On my 24 week u/s they tech started making hmm sounds. This was my 4th baby so I knew that was not ok. I asked her what was up and she gives me the Im not a Dr. speech. So like 20 minutes later the Dr. takes us ( my ex and I) into her office, also a first, and said they found honeycombing on my sons brain. This could lead to a condtionn that like downs bit instead of having an extra cromizone, he was short one. Also unlike downs the disease was and I quote "not compatible with life" She gave me papers on late term abotrtions and the option of continuing the pregnancy knowing he would die uopn birth. She wanted to do a repeat u/s in a week. Needles to say this doomed baby is 6 and the light of my life, Drs are trained to go from worst to best. i hope it all works out for you.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 1:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Their is a blood test that your ob can do to see your chances of having a baby with downs. Call your ob and see if this is an option. Trust me you don't want to do the amino! I did it because i had a 1 in 12 chance of having a baby with downs and its very painful and risky to the baby. The results came back negative thank god but it took a whole month to find out after the dr gave me the blood results. I would call your dr and see if she has time to discuss your options. They can normally do a detailed ultrasound to see if their is any other signs of downs. The only good thing about the amino u would know for sure and you can know the sex 100%. After taking the test i realized that no matter what this baby is mine to take care of and i don't care either way if she had downs or not. So i understand what you are going through and i know that its hard hearing that your baby may have something wrong. Message me if u have another ?
    Jessi101088

Answer by Jessi101088 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I am very sorry and no I have not gone through this myself but I can give you some words of encouragment. More times than not, and this is exactly what my doctors told, they are wrong about a child possibly having Downs etc. Even with today's technology, there is still an extremely high false positive rate when they are trying to detect birth defects and other problems. Which is why I opted out of having this testing done. I figured if most of the results come back positive when really there is nothing wrong, why put myself through the worry? My MIL was told that her 3rd son's leg bone was longer than the other another "symptom" of Downs. They also talked to her about late term abortion. Well guess what? He is now 19 and is training to be a professional motocross racer. Both his legs are perfectly fine. There is no such thing as 100% certainity of ANYTHING while you are pregnant.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2009