• In the Spotlight:

Can I go to jail

For spanking my child? He was playing in the garage and got into the house paint and got it on the car! He's only 3 1/2, but he should know better right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think you can go to jail for spaking your child unless you're doing some extreme bruise causing spanking.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 1:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• spanking and beating are very different
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i dont think so, did you hurt him? did you hit him hard enough to leave a mark? i spank my child when shes doing something really bad i think most parents spank their child atleast once
    Anonymous

• no
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Well, if you are asking it leads me to believe that the spanking was more than a spanking. There is a thin line between spanking and child abuse, so if you are unsure what constitutes what, my recommendation is don't spank, discipline instead. More concerned than can I go to jail I would be with, have I hurt my child's self esteem or have I changed his view of what is the propel role of a parent, is it terrorize their child or is it to guide and redirect the child? Only you were there, only you know what happend but I reiterate, If you can't tell the difference, just play it safe and don't spank.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Just a spanking No but beating them yes, there is a major difference
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 1:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• whatever happened to the good old days...i mean i'm only 22 so i'm not exaclty referring to my childhood but when I screwed up royal as a kid there was a belt involved... When my dad and mom screwed up there was wooden spoons and paddles involved... Shoot my dad was spanked with a wooden paddle the first day of 1st grade in school and he grew up to be a wonderful father, not an abuser... its so sad that a parent spanks now a days and everyone immediately jumps to child abuse. I was wacked with a belt more then once and I was not abused and I do not in turn abuse my son. Its just ridiculous what society has come to in my opinion. No you can't go to jail for spanking.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Parents don't generally go to jail for striking their children unless they injure them badly. Even when kids get taken away from their parents because of abuse there aren't usually criminal charges unless it is very severe abuse. But it does kind of worry me that you are asking this question, it seems to me that you know this spanking crossed a line. Maybe think about some parenting classes that could help you work on other ways to discipline?
    Anonymous

• ok well I read some of responses and the one by bebita stuck out to me Just because she dosent know if she will go to jail for spanking her child is not an issue matter of facts there are States trying to make a single spanking or whoopings as I call them illeagel weather it puts a mark or not there are places if you spank your child out side or infront of someone they can call the cops and you get in trouble Just FYI you should however be able to restrain your self and control how hard the spanking is and my suggestion is don't spank while your mad take a few deep breaths and calm your nerves real quick tell the child what he or she did wrong and than give the punishment i.e spanking or what not I am not a fan of spankings I do however spank my children 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year olds when they are doing something that can hurt themselves climbing on something or in house paint hopethis helps
    beth214201986

Answer by beth214201986 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Why the hell was your kid in your garage without you? He is 3 1/2? If he got into house paint, and got it all over your car, that to me, means he was alone in a garage full of dangerous stuff too long. You should get spanked for not paying enough attention to him for that long.
    momma_kelsey

Answer by momma_kelsey at 2:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009