NYC is the safest city in the USA. Menphis is the least safe city. Did you expect that?

In Depth: Click to See America's Top 10 Safest Cities
The violent crime category is comprised of murder, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Property crimes include burglary, larceny, and motor vehicle theft. Arson is a property crime, but its statistics are calculated separately.
Among cities with a population exceeding 500,000 residents, New York City tops the list of safest cities in America. After New York, America's safest cities are: San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego, El Paso, Honolulu, Denver, Boston, Las Vegas and Louisville.
And the U.S.'s least safe city? That distinction goes to Memphis, Tennessee, followed by Atlanta, San Antonio, Detroit and Milwaukee The rates reflect the total crimes detailed in the FBI's report divided by the population of the city.
only cities with under ten thousand people - saw an increase in the number of murders, rapes and robberies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• oops here is the link
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/realclearpolitics/20090605/cm_rcp/america039s_safest_cities
    Anonymous

• WOOHOO I live in #2! It's weird to hear NY as #1 because when I think NY I think about the ghettos and all the crazy crimes that go on, but I guess it's not as bad as some places.
    Anonymous

• I would guess NYC is the safest because it's virtually impossible to do anything without having witnesses.
    Anonymous

• I just moved from NYC back to my home state of CA almost a year ago, and I felt MUCH SAFER in NYC than I do here. I was able to walk alone at just about any hour and not worry about being bothered. It doesn't surprise me at all. In my current city, you have to REEEALLY be careful which neighborhood you go to after a certain hour and some 24 hour spots should just be avoided altogether. There is so much police, security, surveillance, and even though you wouldn't think so, there are many people who care and watch out for each other in NY. I lived on Staten Island and had no problems going to or from Manhattan at weird hours.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 2:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• The rep is a democrat go figure lol
    Anonymous

• Mayor Bloomberg has been known to change parties, but he's currently an Independent...
    Anonymous

• No the rep of Memphis is a demo
    Anonymous

• Steve Cohen
    Anonymous

• NYC's police force is really pro active in preventing crime
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 2:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I never felt safe in NYC but out of the three times I visited I was mugged twice. Probably just bad luck but I won't be going back. I have a huge scar from the last mugging and have migraines still from it. I am happy and so much safer here in the middle of Iowa.
    Anonymous