Wanna hear a kicker?

To qualify for a LOW INCOME 1-BEDROOM APARTMENT in this god forsaken city you need to make AT LEAST $2,645 a MONTH!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• LOL! I hear ya! In order to qualify for cash assistance here you have to have a job. Explain that one! If I had a job WHY would I need cash assistance?! Duh!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Really TheDiva? Cuz I had TANF to pay for my LPN classes and then got a part time job so that I could actually cover rent and then still get to go to school. They cut me off of TANF because I got paid minimum wage for 15 hours a week. Said I made too much. So I quit my job. School is more important right now.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• yes really MoonLover! Can you believe that?! I tried to get the TANF and they told me I had to get a job first and then I can be approved. However, I could only work x amount of hours at the job or I'd make too much to qualify for TANF. And here's a little add on, I would have to get assistance for childcare for my kids, but if I'm only working x amount of hours to get TANF, then I wouldn't qualify for child care asssistance. This state is on giant JOKE!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Wow! It pisses me off that you really do have to screw the system to get ahead. And I'm not talking about living off of it permanently. Just stretching the truth some. Maybe you can find somewhere to work under the table. Indians do that a lot. Not that I would know. I mean DH was from India but we would have never have done that. I wouldn't condone lying about how much you make just so you could get yourself out of a hole...nope wouldn't condone it all. ROTFL!!!
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• ROTFL! I have had to stretch the truth a bit in order to get the help that I've needed to care for my boys. It's absurd. They SAY they are all about helping out Americans, but when you go to get the help, goodness, they make you jump thru all kinds of hoops and even then there is usually a problem. Don't even get me started, for the past couple months I have been IRRATE with the "system". A system set up to help us! PFFT! LOL
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• That's crazy! I only had to make 900.00 a month to be approved for my two-bedroom (450/month + utilites)
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My question is, who comes up with these numbers? It's so strange to me how the range can be so great. I know it depends on family size and where you live, but still.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You cant have a job here for the last 30 days( no income at all) before you can get cash assitance. Florida.
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 2:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• And in Iowa if you have a job you can't get cash assistance...I'm like okay so if I do nothing I will have an easier time supporting my family? (I'm not in college or anything.)
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2009