• In the Spotlight:

Would you tell the parents of your childrens friends if your child had lice?

My dd brought the dreaded head lice home from school last week -almost her entire class was infested with it. I thought I was doing the right thing by calling the moms in my neighborhood and letting them know since my dd played with their kids over the weekend. When my dd went back to school all the kids in our neighborhood and on the bus teased her. She came home from school in tears. This is what happens when you do the right thing? Should I have kept it a secret and let the other parents find it on their own? (none of the lids in my neighborhood got it btw).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would have called them too. truth be told, kids get lice, chances are your daughter wasnt the one that orginally had it and you dont get it from being dirty lice only likes hair that is clean so they can move around in it.
    I would feel that I had not been a good parent if I hadnt informed all others that could have been effected.
    sad thing is parents telling there children your childs name. shows how mature they are!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• omg< NEVER EVER, I would just avoid them. Parents are sometimes just as cruel as kids. Sad, you learned the hard way. You live and you learn, I have a 13 year old, somethings are better left unsaid, and private.
    Anonymous

• I think you did the right thing. It sucks that the children were so mean to your dd. And truthfully, the parents should have kept the info to themselves. But honestly, if my child played with yours and got lice and you hadn't said anything, I'd be irrate mainly because you KNEW and said nothing. I went thru this similar situation with my sister and her daughter. Long story short, her daughter had hand, foot and mouth disease (extremely contagious) and she didn't say ANYTHING at all. My son got it. And i figured it out because I found the ER paper work in her car from when she took her daughter. I was fuming. So, I would be grateful that you told me rather then not saying anything. Sorry your dd seemed to get hurt in the process :(
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Sorry that happened, and I think you did the right thing by telling them, I think what was wrong was on the other parents part that they probably made it look like a joke to them and thats why the teasing started, because if everybody in the class had it no one would have nothing to say but then singled out her and thats not right.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I agree you did the right thing by noifying the other parents, and its sad they felt the need to give their own children the necessary information to pick on your daughter. Kids can be so cruel, by parents can be even worse sometimes
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think you did the right thing, but I don't know that I would have told all the kids parents. I think I might have only told the ones that I knew for a fact were exposed to my child: if they came to my house to play, if my child had been to their house. Just playing in the yards, I don't know that I would have told them. Mainly b/c I would be thinking about that they might tease my child, like what happened to your daughter. I am sorry to hear that that happened. I hope she feels better now.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I would call the moms back asking them why they would tell their kids your DD had lice! The parents didn't have to go to their child and say "oh so and so has lice stay away from her" that is really immature on the parents part. If a parent called me I would say thank you, check my child's hair and keep it to myself. Once the parent called me back and told me she no longer had it I would let my child play with them again. I think the parents were trying to get your daughter teased by telling their children.
    Anonymous

• I got them a few times as a child and either we or my mom told my friends to tell their parents. I remember one time I got them in Jr high and I had to call a boy I really liked and hung out with all the time to tell him I had lice. Holy crap that was awful. I think you did the right thing.
    BubblesB123

Answer by BubblesB123 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Though I believe you did the right thing, I wouldn't have done that. Parents and their kids can both be so cruel. No one called to warn you. If it was family, okay, I would call family and let them know. But neighbors and friends I wouldn't. Would you call everyone in the neighborhood if she got the flu to let them know that their kids may get sick too? You can't prevent it if they've been exposed and they will learn on their own when the child gets sick. Same thing here.
    princessmommy32

Answer by princessmommy32 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It would depend. We just found out we had lice too, and they are going through our school really bad. I did tell the family whose house my oldest son slept over at last weekend, because odds are pretty good he could have passed them on. I haven't called everyone my kids have had casual contact with to tell them, especially if they were just running around outside without a lot of close contact.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2009