What do you use to flavor pinto beans?

preferably toddler friendly

Asked by jus1jess at 2:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Bacon!!!

Answer by luvschocolate at 2:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• For me I'd use bacon and onion, or a bit of chili powder. For a young child, they don't need extra seasonings. I'll probably just mash it up, at most a little salt.

Answer by Bmat at 2:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My babies love my

I usually put bacon (first I fry a pack of bacon) wash my pinto beans take out all that dirt fill the pot with water and put on the stove on low to med. Once it start to get boiliy I pour my bacon in the pot add salt and pepper and whalah done. Just keep checking it so it does not run out of water I remember my mom would put alittle water in the pot but kept coming back to add more water so I just fill the pot with water and let it ride just stir it once in awhile until they are nice and softmmmmm! delicioso!!! Or you can throw in a clove of garlic and an onion with or with out the bacon. I know TMI but my kids love this. Sometimes we have tortilla bean taco's with cheesemmm

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Ham (small slab w/ bone in or if you are in the south you could get side-meat which I couldn't find when I lived up north) and onions. If you are cooking them from a dried bean, the onions cook out but leave a good flavor with the ham. If using canned, just go for the ham, bacon or side-meat.

Answer by momjoy1027 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• OH and it takes about 3 hrs or so to cook but it is well worth it :)

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• chorizo

Answer by SGMAMI at 2:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• lil cumin lil chili powder olive oil onion garlic

Answer by rozepyle at 2:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I just put cumin and let it simmer and sooooo good. I don't eat bacon so I've never tried that

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I boil them with olive oil, onion, garlic and cumin. Don't add salt or acids, like tomatoes, until the beans are completely soft.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i usually save some of my ham that i cook for flavoring my beans with.

Answer by shorty13417 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2009