Legally speaking, Can a landlord............

Can a landlord legally tell one tenant that they have to get rid of their dog and another tenant they don't. I ask because my landlord told me I have 10 days to get rid of my dog, who is VERY quiet and calm. The kid below me has two large dogs who bark and carry-on all day long, but he doesn't have to get rid of them. Can he legally do that?

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it depends on the lease you signed, if it is stated that you can have or not have and animal, I don't think he could just walk over and say what he feels in that moment.
    Anonymous

• if he paied some type of fee to keep his pets yes....did u like sneek ur dog in there with out permission and not pay a pet fee?
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 2:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• What does it say in yor lease? Did you pay a pet deposit? If you didnt mayybe you can offer him one to keep your pet. But yes he can if no mention of ok to have pet in lease.
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 2:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If the lease, local ordinances, or apartment complex policy says something about restrictions on certain breeds of dogs and your dog is that breed, then yes they can. Also, some places have restrictions on size, though if the neighbor's dogs are bigger than yours that wouldn't apply.

As far as the barking and stuff though, you could try lodging complaints as far as noise violations go.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• The lease does state that we can have a dog, within the weight limits (which he is.) Although we weren't required to pay a deposit or pet rent for him. Apparently there's a leak in the apartment below mine and the landlord seems to think that it's caused by my dog. Although, they have come to my apt and looked and it's the hot water radiator leaking, and not the dog. (I'm not real sure how a dog can create enough liquid to cause a leak though. He's barely 20lbs.)
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• The landlord was fully aware that we had a dog when we signed the lease. We informed him of the dog, knowing most places don't allow dogs in this area. He had no issue with him a year ago when the lease was signed.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• he can't just change his mind.He'd have to draft a new lease for you to sign.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• That's what I thought. And it would have to be the same for ALL the tenants, right?
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If the terms of your lease state the policy is no dogs, your landlord can make you get rid of a dog...

If you think the tenant downstairs should also have to get rid of his dogs because the policy is no dogs, bring it to the landlord's attention.
    iluvmommyhood58

Answer by iluvmommyhood58 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009