when to get rid of the bottles?

My 1 year old, is kinda doing it himself, but he is still waking up at night wanting a bottle and cuddle, last night i offered water in a sippy and he screamed for 2 hours....
please help

franklynnsmom

Asked by franklynnsmom at 2:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Toss the bottles. Out of site out of mind. If he gets thirsty enough, he will take the sippy. As long as he knows there is no other option. If you keep the bottles, he knows that they are still there.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You should gradually introduce the whole milk (or whatever you're doing) to your child by mixing it a little with formula and then it should eventually be 100% whole milk. My son was off it at exactly a year old..my husband was refusing to buy anymore formula..lol. We did introduce it to him though. You might have to listen to some temper tantrum moments..but eventually the child is gonna get thirsty and just give in and drink it.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 2:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• There is no "best time".
    Since he's over a year, I'd stick with water in any bottles he gets. If that makes him drop the bottles himself, fine. If not, that's fine too. You can then work on getting rid of the bottles later as his comfort and safety need for them goes down.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• This also helped me to get my son to sleep thru the night. I also had the okay from my pediatrician. Son would wake up thru the night after taking a couple nights where he'd sleep thru so I knew he wasn't needing a feeding. I'd offer him water (in the bottle before we broke him) and he finally gave up waking up for just water. Then at a year old, we started giving him his formula (what was left) in a sippy cup and he transitioned just fine. It may be different for you, all kids are their own person, but i say get rid of the bottle now and just get through the rough few days and he'll eventually take to the cup.
    dali_mama48161

Answer by dali_mama48161 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• We got rid of them as soon as they showed they could drink from a sippy cup. Once that skill is learned, there is absolutely no need for a bottle.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Another way is to start watering down the milk until you are on complete water. It really doesn't have to be all or nothing. Everyone in the house does not have to be miserable to help a little one cut back and then break the bottle.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009