Will you help

Obama is going to try and pass the Mathew Shepard act. I think with a little push it may be faster. For all of you who do not know Mathew Shepard was just 21 when he was bound to a fence beaten robbed and left for dead. All because he was gay. He was someones son and brother. He was found in a coma his face covered in blood except where his tears had wiped it away. While themen who did this to him bound him to the fence he was pleding for his life. Well it did not work. He died in the hospital for his brutal injuries. Now the Mathew Shepard act will make gay bashing officailly a hate crime. I think all of us mommas who are for equal rights should speak up. Get this act legal. Obama recently met with Mathew's mother and promised to do his best to have this done. We have to help. Let's not let this young man's life have been taken in vain. R.I.P Mathew Shepard you'r justice is on it's way!!!

delilahsmom1177

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree kelly, but...

People are motivated to commit crimes for different reasons. People will ALWAYS take into account WHY a crime was committed.

"What an african america killing a white? what about a woman hater killing a woman? it is all hate and we are all covered and protected under the law."

Sure it is. But again, people will ALWAYS go into the WHY of a crime, especially when it goes to trial. There are DIFFERENT forms of hate. DIFFERENT motivations for crime.

There are crimes of passion. There are crimes that are committed because of psychological issues. Why the heck wouldn't there be crimes committed just because one person hates another type of person?

Murder is murder is murder. But when it goes to court, they will always ask WHY. For some people, they just 'snapped'. Some people, they thought they were doing the right thing (Tiller's Killer). Some people do it JUST BECAUSE they don't like someone's RELIGION.<
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 3:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Good. I can't believe it's taken this long.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 2:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Absolutely.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 2:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• What happened to Matthew shouldve been a wake up call for ALL Americans. And yes, ajquinn- but better late than never I always say. <333
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Why is it that we are making a crime committed on a homosexual more important than any other crime against a certain group of people? There are crimes committed by those who hate women, African Americans, Jews, Whites, Christians, Muslims, men, and list goes on. Isn't physical violence against anyone punishable? A person that does not approve of homosexuality is no more a crime that views of women not being authority, or any race not holding a certain status. I think that bill is biased.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• ptomom678 those crimes are legally hate crimes. Those are already legal this one is not. It is not bias it is just that tjose all are offically hate crimes gay bashing isn't!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• ptomom678, it should have just been added into hate crimes with the others a long time ago, but because it wasn't that is why it is a new law.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 3:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• What is "gay bashing" anyway. Disagreeing with the lifestyle or physcially hurting them? Physically hurting ANYONE even pets is a crime. If disagreeing with their lifestyle is considered gay bashing then my FREEDOM of speech and thoughts are being violated.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• As someone on the gay rights and equality side, I can't side with making gay bashing a hate crime. It basically allows the legal system to become the "thought police", and how can you legislate and prosecute a person's reasons for committing a crime? That's just my opinion.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• " ajgui...
    ptomom678, it should have just been added into hate crimes with the others a long time ago, but because it wasn't that is why it is a new law. "

It DOES just add to the pre-existing hate crime laws, and takes away the fact that before, a hate crime was only a hate crime on government protected soil, or places like school.
    Anonymous