Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does it mean when they say oh your child is on the borderline of autism?

my son is only 1 sign away of being diagnosed with autism they say oh he is only borderline we cant help you because of one sign what kind of shit is that sorry I dont know much about it and they would give me not one peice of information they said information was only for parents who has children full blown autism. Does anyone have advice for me my son starts school in Aug he starts Pre-K

Answer Question

Asked by beth214201986 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • What 1 sign are they waiting for him to have to diagnose him? What kind of character trains does he display currently that would make the doc think that he was already border line. With the info you provided it sounds to me like he may currently be on the Spectrum of Autism but they dont want to formally diagnose him as Autistic. If you can answer these questions I may be able help more.

    Answer by Scoobersmom at 2:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • Put him on a gluten free & casein free diet. Have him tested for other food sensitivities. Rast test food panel for IgE & IgG

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • Who is doing the diagnosing? Is it Early Intervention Services or a doc? For those children who meet some, but not all of the criteria for a specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), a diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS) is generally given. Was your son given a PDD-NOS diagnosis, or was he given no diagnosis at all? Were any specific areas of development, such as speech/communication skills, social development or motor skills, sufficiently delayed to require intervention? If there was, then you should be able to get treatment for those skills and more information from other therapists and/or providers that way. If all else fails, you could seek out a second opinion from a more experienced evaluator.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • you need to go to a specialist to get a full evaluation...don't go by what a dr. says, half the time they are only speculating. It is not as simple as a dr saying "yep she's on the borderline for autism". I had to go to dozens of specialists and dozens of different tests for my daughter.

    Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • Normally it means they have no clue. Happens more than we would like trust me. Get him in to a specialist mama. It is what I had to do.

    Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • I agree with Scoobersmom.One more trait?I think either you are or you aren't!Get another opinion!Get the necessary tests!

    Answer by maidmomma at 4:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • WTF how can they tell you that and then say you don't deserve to get more information. I would take it as them saying you might be able to still prevent it! Do all the research you can! Contact an autism research society and ask lots of questions.

    Answer by MommyKKay at 6:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • he was tested by Early Intervention Services I will get on tomorrow and post a journal with the study they gave me they said he is at a 2 year 2 month level and he will be 4 in August and I will post all the skills and things they tested for and their findings the only info I have ok thank you for your answers where should I look for a second opinion he is going to start pre-k in August and I want him tested and started on any therpies he needs before than you know I just feel lost and confused.

    Answer by beth214201986 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • Since he is 4, he falls under the jurisdiction of the local school district now, so call the special education department and ask for whomever takes care of Early Childhood Services. The school district can evaluate your son for special education services & give him an educational diagnosis, which will be different from having a medical diagnosis, but it will get services started and they will be free. The services provided by the school will take place in a school building, not in your home, but the district should provide transportation if needed. Most have developmental preschool classrooms where services are provided (ST, OT, PT, developmental & social instruction).

    Next, contact your son's pediatrician and tell him that, based on the EI findings, you would like your son to have a more thorough & complete evaluation by a more experienced clinician or team of clinicians. Your local children's hospital may have info, too.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.