did you ever attend a religious ceremony and find it ridiculous

im gonna refrain from saying what religion it was...but i was just sitting back watching them giong omg....are you serious? like..for real?
i mean i was not judging them as people but what they were doing....it was one of those things me and the hubby both looked at eachother and afterwrds went "omfg, they are for real!"
if i name the religion im sure ppl will get pissed. so i wont. and bear in mind these are friends of mine, and ive seen other things they have done but this one...just omg...it was so something a toddler would do in a make believe game it just ..it kinda cracked me up silently

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am Christian and at my old church they would have a very contemporary service. There was like an actual band with drums, a guitar, tamborines, etc. and I just felt like I was at a concert more than church. The songs were so stupid and had no meaning behind them and it was basically just repetition of the same phrase over and over again. Needless to say we switched to a church with a more traditional service.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Not attended, but saw on video. It was all so stylized and dramatic, it was Theatre. And while I really want to believe they were all in on the joke, I don't think they really were, at least not all of them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I was doing a show with my DH's old band at an Assembly of God church and it ended up being a VERY interesting service one time, to say the very least.

People jumping up and yelling, falling down, screaming in tongues and self-translating, running around the aisles, laughing, giggling rolling on the floor . . .

It was all I could do not to run out of there, luckily I was on stage . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yeah.... I have BTDT. A few years ago I went to a service that not only was totally bizarre to me, but it also lasted for a long long time. I kept looking at my watch wondering when it was going to be over!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Church ceremonies only are ridiculous when the center of worship is not Jesus Christ. When the focus is on entertaining and not giving him reverence people make fools of themselves.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• "People jumping up and yelling, falling down, screaming in tongues and self-translating, running around the aisles, laughing, giggling rolling on the floor . . ."

That is just what happened when I went to my friend's church.... I had never seen anything like it and it went on for nearly 3 hours.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yeah, I went to a religious funeral and I couldn't understand what was going on. It was constant up and down, up and down. My hubby was raised in the same faith and he didn't know why they did it either.
    But aren't Churches of God interesting. i was raised in one, so i know EXACTLY what you are talking about jennijune!
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Honestly? I found every one I have ever been to funny, no matter what relegion it was for. The way peaple carry themselves so seriously, the old ladys bathed in perffume, totaly of key AAAAMAAAAZINGGGGRAAACCE. Ugh. Power ponit in chuch? Not for me at all ever. Guys rockin out to oh holly jebus. Funny stuff
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 2:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• OH yes.... many, MANY times.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• jennijune_21

LOL, raised Church of God myself so I know what you mean, some people are sincere but others are lost in what they are doing. We had one chick fall through the wall, it was rather funny. Oh the memories. LOL
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2009