EMLA Cream

Has anyone used emla cream n there baby prior to getting vacinated to numb the area. I just read about it in a Parent magazine.

Emmasmom2009

Asked by Emmasmom2009 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did, and honestly I didn't notice much of a difference.

For Nik's first shots he had the cream, you have to be sure to wait 45 minutes for it to take affect.
    They used the air inject gun on him and I thought maybe the loud noise it made was the problem, so the next time I used EMLA and had them do the needle inject, his reaction was the same.
    I went back to the air inject for his next shots with no EMLA, and again the same reaction.

I don't know how well it actually works, but the extra hour at the doctor's office was more of a pain than the actual shots.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 3:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• did you have your doctor order single dose, preservative free vaccines?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Just want to be clear, by "reaction" I meant that he cried; not that he had an actual reaction to the vaccines. We go through a military hospital for my son's vaccines, so our options are limited when it comes to single dose and preservative free vaccines. We follow the Dr. Sears schedule with a few omitions and substiutions.

I try to be fairly educated on vaccines and am thoughtful on what vaccines I choose for my son to have.

But that is not what the OP was asking about. I'm pretty sure she wanted to know about numbing the area for the actual pain of injection.

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2009