Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will cash assistance cover my rent?

I need to get an apartment by August but I can't cover rent on my own. Does cash assistance help with that?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • Have you considered a renter's assistance program. That might be the best option. I know IL has that option (that's where I live). I'm not too sure if cash assistance will help, I'm thinking that it wouldn't cover ur rent though, but I have no idea.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • How about helping you get a job?

    Answer by bebita at 2:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • Bebita, if getting a job was so simple right now, do you really think people would be trying to get assistance? It's kind of snobby of you to assume she doesn't have one already.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • cash assistance is cash. you use the cash to apply towards your bills, specifically rent. you can use the cash however you want, if you're asking about the amount you're going to get, its not much. i live alone and am pregnant and i get 300 to 350 a month. covers half my rent.

    Answer by staciandababy at 2:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • Yes it will. Dont listen to stupid people on here! They dont understand that people have hard times in life!

    Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • and yes, in order to even get cash assistance you have to be reviewed and if getting a job is possible you have to look for one. i look for a job seven hours a day, five days a week and check in at the workfirst office at 8am everyday. its basically a full time job making one dollar an hour. it's not glamorous at all.

    Answer by staciandababy at 2:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • I know that the max cash assistance you can get in Idaho is like 300.... that said the renters asst programs have around a 3 yr waiting list.... maybe try looking into low income apts in your area that base your rent off your income you will pay 30% of what you make total in rent....

    Answer by mizsaxton at 2:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • From what I understand, cash assistance is also only temporary, so you should also apply to something like Section 8 asap because there are HUGE waiting lists for that type of help.

    Answer by motherofanaries at 2:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • i would suggest checking your area for a "room for rent" instead of an apartment. i don't know your situation but living by yourself is a huge burden when you're in a jam.

    Answer by staciandababy at 2:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • Doesnt CAFEMOM adms... read these posts and get rid of people who are retarded??? bebita, how do you know she doesnt have one?

    To answer the OP, are you being evicted, is that why you have to move so suddenly? Some states, if you have an eviction notice will help you temporary to move, but that may be the only help they will give you, and even then, they may not paya deposit, just your first months rent, or they may try to work with your current landlord for a "short" time and fix whatever is going on so that you dont have to move. Hope this helps!!! What state are you in?

    Answer by shepardsfaith at 2:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2009