For Mom's who introduced solids around 6mos: (if you didn't or are one of those that don't "believe" in introducing solids before a year, MOVE ON!, don't need your drama!)

So I thought I would try introducing my 6 1/2 mo old to solids today for lunch...just to see if he was interested...or if he really knew what he was doing, lol.
Well I gave him pieces of bread (thought it would soften pretty easily and he could eat it easily) and I also tried cooked noodles, the jumbo macaronis cut in half...
Well, he played with them, but didn't really take to the putting them in his mouth and eating them. I gave him a few pieces and he didn't spit out some of the bread, but did the macaronis...anyway, he didn't really "eat" much of it...and I don't think he really got the hang of it...

So my question is...is he NOT ready yet? or does he just need to get the hang of it?

AGAIN, I don't want bashers or people telling me I shouldn't be introducing solids yet, unless it seems he's just isn't ready yet. Answer the question, or don't reply!

Thanks in advance to the POSITIVE answers! =]]

carliemarie1015

Asked by carliemarie1015 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think that he's ready. Your next attempt should be some veggies-like baby food. But 'solids' like breads and noddles-eh, he needs some teeth or he's gonna be gumming those awhile.

I would try some baby food and see how he likes it.
    Anonymous

• I remember the little girl I babysat took awhile to eat things with her fingers. It also took her along time eat baby food. picky little baby. lol I would try to offer your son a few more times. Maybe help him along by putting the food in his hand then bringing the food to his mouth so he gets it.
    erinkoeser616

Answer by erinkoeser616 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• OP here: He's been eating baby food. and he's got one tooth and working on the second.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• How bought those little baby snacks that dissolve?? He might be ready to try those.
    Anonymous

• I would keep trying. it's like eating with a spoon at first they didn't know how to do it so it takes time . Might try other things. Once somthing he likes his taste buds will want more. Good luck
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 2:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Just keep him a variety of solids he can choose from. May he just didnt like the noodles. Offer something different at each meal time. Adjusting his diet is going to adjust his poop too lol. He may get constipated off & on until hes belly adjust. Both my boys were that way. Good luck, & remember, TINY Pieces ! ! ! Have a great time cleaning up the mess :)
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 3:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I gave my daughter tiny tiny pieces of cut up food around that age mostly soft veggies like carrots and stuff she was eating cut up ham and cheese before she was one and got her first tooth around 1 also it just takes time the texture of some foods is what throws babies off... keep trying and like the above lady said try some of the baby snacks that dissolve that will help him get the idea of things
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 3:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE IDEAS LADIES!!! GLAD TO GET SOME POSITIVE FEEDBACK!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Have you tried baby foods? Or making your own mashed foods for him to try? He might get the hang of the new foods when they are more the constancy of liquid. It seems like he thinks the bread and noodles are toys...lol Good luck :)
    hefairbairn

Answer by hefairbairn at 3:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I reccomend the gerber puffs but if they are too small for his fingers get the gerber wagon wheels, they disolve too. I would just put him in the high chair and put some in front of him. Help him get the idea by putting the pieces in his hand and bring it up to his mouth. Make a big deal about it being sooo yummy and hes such a big boy. You know the routine! LOL :)
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2009