Should I keep storing cord blood? Is it just a waste?

I stored all my kids' cord blood - mainly because my mom offered to pay and because the doctor was like, well, can't hurt.

Now I'm footing the bill and storage every year is pricey for three kids. I wonder just how often it has actually come in handy for people. I suppose that all it takes is one major medical event to make it worthwhile, but I can't help feeling like it's a bit of a scam and these people pray on paranoia. Has anyone heard of people who were able to use it?
Thank you!
Tara

bitethebedbugs

Asked by bitethebedbugs at 2:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• does it cost the same to store only ONE?
    the chances of you needing it for all three of your kids is slim, and how old are they now?
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 2:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i can't imagine, what do they do when you stop paying? throw it away? shit, can't we just stick it in our own freezers?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I agree with the first answer, just keep one if you are worried about it. Most of the desieses they cure are hereditary..does your family frequently suffer from lukemia or anything like that? Weighing the odds is hard, but like you said it only takes one major medical event to mae it worth it. I would hate to be without it if it ever happened ya know?
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• the reason I ask about the costs is because one cord blood is enough usually, chances of all three of your kids going sour is SLIM and the blood is fine between sisters and brothers so on and so fourth..
    the thing about cord blood is though tha there trying to cure other things with it, like heart problems and aids and stuff....
    I dont know how expensive it is, but If I had the money I would keep it.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 3:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I recently read an article about cord blood banking and it sounds like if your kid gets a genetic type disease, then his own cord blood wouldn't work since it's a genetic disease and the blood came from him anyway. It also said that there is somewhere around an 80% chance of getting blood from another source from a blood bank if he were to need it. I will try to find the article and post it here.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• you really dont need it for all three unless your trying to be extra cautious because if they have the same father one should work for all. Im storing my 1st babies and we'll discuss what to do for the 2nds since they are siblings and such but I would keep storing it.

Usage for it is limited but research is back in action and you never know what it could be used for in the future

so far it can be used for alzhimers, so evn if they dont use it maybe another family member will need it. I would keep it to be safe

also
    my cost is as follows
    2100.00 for the 1st year and 125.00 per year after that maybe urs is more expensive
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2009