I went to the doctor today and she said i tested positive for group B strep. Should i be worried or no?

firstXmom_09

Asked by firstXmom_09 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nope don't worry. They will give you a shot (I think) at delivery and you should be ok.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• o no dont be worried at all. they just give you a medicine before you have ur baby. MY sister had this and baby and everything went all good :)
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My friend and I both tested positive for that. It's not that bad, all it means is you'll have to take antibiotics while in labor. After labor we both had a high fever too.
    moniluvsmarcus

Answer by moniluvsmarcus at 2:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• just means you'll be giving medicine through IV during your L&D, its something like 8 out of 10 women and men have group B (yes men can have it, not that it matters) dangerious to the baby if left untreated during labor, but at NO harm for the mother or sexual partners!
    make sure your giving the medicine though because it can cause blindness, skin disese and death in new borns
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 3:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Don't worry, it is rarely dangerous for the baby, even if left untreated. Also, you might have it one day, and it might clear up by delivery. Either way they will insist on antibiotics during labor. They never recheck.
    Anonymous

• I was Strep B positive and still gave birth at HOME! You don't even have to have an i.v. either. Antibiotics aren't necessary and aren't without side effects. Ask your doctor if it is possible for you to do Hibiclens washes instead. From the start of labor you wash with hibiclens and water solution every 2 hours.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• MISSES NICK I THINK YOU MAYBE WRONG YOU DO NEED ANTIBIOTICS DURING L/D SO YOUR BABY WONT GET AN INFECTION WHICH CAN SOMETIME BE DEADLY TO THE BABY IF NOT TREATED DURING DELIVERY.
    Anonymous

• I happen to know that I am not wrong. A Hibiclens wash is sufficient and is done in hospitals, birthing centers, and homebirths attended by midwives all over the country and done VERY often in Europe.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2009