Wine while pregnant

Why is it that they say its ok to have an occaisional glass or half glass of RED wine while pregnant? Whats the difference with white wine? Just curious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i'm not sure, i thought they were both ok on occasion. i had an amnio done on my 22nd birthday while being 6 months pregnant and right after my doc actually told me it was ok to have a glass of sangria.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• There is no difference. Alcohol while you are pregnant is bad. It doesn't matter if you have one drink or one hundred drinks. No one knows why FAS affects on fetus and not another. I wouldn't risk it at all. Alcohol is not good for fetus' no matter what form it comes in imo
    Anonymous

• That is a good question. I have no idea.........maybe ask your ob?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 3:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• There is a current cultural story about red wine being virtuous and pure and every other form of alcohol being evil and sullied... but here's the facts:

~ people who drink in moderation occasionally are healthier by all measures than people who drink lots (rarely or often) AND healthier than people who never drink at all

~ there is no known safe threshold for alcohol consumption during pregnancy -- fetal alcohol syndrome, like all the other syndromes, has a spectrum of damage, some physical, some mental. No one knows if 1 glass of wine a day is too much... wanna find out? Yeah... neither does anyone else

~ many professionals believe (without any information to confirm it) that after a certain point alcohol in moderate quantities *can't* damage the fetus - which is ridiculous, because in moderate quantities it can damage adults

~ drinking while eating is safer, and it helps to drink water, too

~ don't get drunk
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• red wine has been known to help blood flow- some doctors will tell you a glass of red wine is ok because it helps blood flow to the plesenta.
    I understand peoples anger tward this issue, but if a doctor says its fine, well, the truth is, you DIDNT go to medical school.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 3:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• AND the reason why there is no actual good answer and never will be, is because to test the theory would be HORRIBLE.
    but I no my sister drank VERY heavly until she was 7months pregnant (she didnt know she was pregnant) because she was told she couldnt have children because she never got a period...
    her son is healthy, happy very bright young boy.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 3:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I was just wondering why they say red wine opposed to white..
    Anonymous

• i think it has something to do with the antioxidants in the red wine that it gets from the grapes. but im not 100% on that
    ChloeMom0709

Answer by ChloeMom0709 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2009