Any AIU or Phoenix students or alums out there? I'd love your feedback!

Trying to decide between these two schools. Any input from your experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

djmommy2

Asked by djmommy2 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I went to University of Phoenix, until someone on CM told me that they are a legitimate school- but most businesses and other Universities won't accept a degree or credit transfers from them. So I called 5 Universities and 3 out of 5 of them wouldn't accept a single transfer credit from them. YIKES!

None of the businesses that I called would accept a degree from them either.

So I went to a local community college. I can do all my classes online, it was half the price, and every college I called will accept a transfer from them, and businesses will accept a degree. So yeah- call around. It's not worth it to pay for a college that only a few people view as legitimate.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I attend University of Phoenix and love it!!!! I have two more courses and then I graduate. I am so excited. It was very convenient doing it from home when I have children to take care of. I completed many of my assignments when they were in bed. If we go out of town I take my laptop with me, most hotels have free wifi.

The poster that is above me has issues. I know many people whom have graduated from UofP and not had any problems. It is a regionally accredited school. Financial aid would not be available if it wasn't. It is accepted just like any other degree.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for your input, ladies!!!
    djmommy2

Answer by djmommy2 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I have had problems transferring credits from one communtity college to another and then on to a regular university, so of course there could be problems transferring credits with U of Phoenix too. However if you finish out your degree there, it's a legitimate degree. U of Phoenix is a real university with a real campus, not some fly by night school set up in an office building somewhere advertising on tv during Divorce court. My husbands friend completed his Bachelor's in Business Admin with Univ. of Phoenix. It was expensive, but it is accepted by the company that he works for, which is a large nation wide company. Actually it was recommended by his boss that he use them to get it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Please stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for the owners/shareholders, not to educate. Start with a community college near you.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think that UofP and AIU are total rip offs. I attend a great college for a quarter of the cost. All online which is what I love because I have 2 babies ,2 and under. Please check out Peru.edu. Its 168.50/ credit for all online students. I believe UofP is over $400/credit. That is insane.
    You have to think about your finances. FAFSA(aid) basically covers all of my tuition. I just get stafford for my books and living expenses. I couldnt do that with UofP. Good Luck! Any questions feel free to email me.
    mommy2crums

Answer by mommy2crums at 8:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I am currently enrolled at UOP. I like it and the instructors are very helpful as well as your classmates.
    busyasabee

Answer by busyasabee at 3:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Wow! Thanks, ladies. Definitely gave me some things to think about. The online thing was definitely the thing that I need. And AIU is telling me I can get an AA in 13 months whereas UofP was telling me 20-21. I still don't know. I'm continuing my research.
    djmommy2

Answer by djmommy2 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I went to University of Phoenix for a about a year. I actually had about 4 credits that DID transfer to a local college. I think it just depends on the school. I only stopped because they were so expensive. If you are considering this school, go to Axia College (also part of UOP) first for your general education. They are cheaper per credit hour, then those classes transfer to UOP when you are ready to start on your bachelor degree classes. Oh, and by the way, I did enjoy the school. I like online education. I am in school locally now and the majority of my classes are online or CD.
    hlewis1027

Answer by hlewis1027 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2009