What do you think about baby signing?

With my oldest I did not try it. With my 1 year old I did do signing. For some reason my youngest seems to comphrehend a lot better than my 3 year old. So I felt it made a difference. But it could also be because my youngest had someone to follow. What do you think?

Trycksie

Asked by Trycksie at 3:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know, I've done it with all of mine and I love it, but I don't know the answer to your question. It could be a factor that helps, but there ARE a lot of other factors - having an older sibling, having a different temperament and set of skills, having a mother who is perhaps more confident than she was with her first, etc etc etc. are all possible influences there. But I'm sure that signing plays a role in it, or I wouldn't be so very sold. It just enhances communication so much, and gives them an avenue to receive and convey information that they simply wouldn't have had otherwise. Baby signing rocks.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I sign with my daughter because she is 2 and does not talk yet. I agree that signing is great for kids. It helps them communicate and I agree it helps with cognition.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My dd signed at less than a year old. She did basic signs like more and drink. It was a good way for her to communicate what she wanted and we were both less frustrated. She would put her hand on her head (like hat) for Barney...doesnt matter if the sign is done correctly it is just a tool for you to communicate with a child that cant speak yet.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think it is awesome and will do it with my kids. I did it with kids at the daycare and it helped tremendously.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• We taught my daughter signs; we started around 11 months, but she ended up being very verbal very early, so she learned most of the words right along with the signs (started using them around the same time). Still, I think it helped her communicate more quickly. And she's 2 now and still loves learning new signs; so I see it as a head start on a foreign language (we taught her ASL rather than the made up "baby signs" which I recommend. They'll continue to be useful to communicate with people beyond the baby years). Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I love it! And I do believe that its helped with his cognition! Keep it up mom!
    dali_mama48161

Answer by dali_mama48161 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I loved it. I think it really helped my daughter that she could ask for a few things long before she was able to get them out in speech.

You can't compare your two children though. Not only are they different people, they grew up in different households. One was an only child, now older child. One is a younger sibling. One started out with newbie-parents. One has old-pro-parents.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• We used sign with all of ours and each of them learned it differently.

For the poster with the two year old who doesn't speak yet...you need to have her evaluated for possible therapy.
    Anonymous

• my dd is 18 mo and doesn't really speak yet but we sign all the time! She comprehends and understands, just doesn't want to talk (at least until she's ready). She LOVES signing! Everyday we pick up at least one new word and she knows it from the start! From eating, to sleeping, to playing and animals.. toilet, bath! I LOVE IT!! I think it's a great way for her to comunicate instead of whining and she picked it up really REALLY fast! I didn't start signing with her until she was about 13-15 mo old. We're also working on foriegn languages with her as well... which she knows and signs the sign when she wants to say the new word.
    I think it's great to be able to give our kids another way to communicate!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think signing is great. My son wasn't talking at 15 months & would stand there & scream continuously so I called Birth to 3 & they came out & started working with he & I. It was great within days I could see a difference in him. He wasn't screaming as much because he could communicate what he wanted with me.
    coledon

Answer by coledon at 11:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2009