"I believe it takes a village to raise a child"

in the good old days if you were walking home from school and you saw a kid smoking a cigg or kissing on boys or whatever the parents new about it before the kids even got home, and was corrected immeditly.
Parents kept in contact to keep all children safe in the town, not just there own.
now a days we get nasty comments to us when we call other parents about there childrens wrong doings, or parenting a child in public thats not our own.
I was driving down the street the other day and a child no older than 3 was in the middle of the road, I stopped the car, got out and put the child on the side walk and scolded him. His parents than ran out of the house screaming at me, telling me they were gonna call the cops for me touching there child!
now I just read a question about a mom getting angry because another woman (VERY NICELY) told her child not to drink pool water.
whats your opnion on this matter?

judith_visco

Asked by judith_visco at 3:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• As much as what you did was right, people are ridiculous they are too concerned with what other people think, damn straight if I saw a three year old in the middle of the road I would pick him up and put him on the sidewalk probably scold him and tell his parents if they threatened to call the police Id be thinking about calling social services on any parent who would allow there three year old to wander out into the middle of a road!
    lilmama31709

Answer by lilmama31709 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If I'm present, I'd like for other parents to express concerns to me rather than scolding my child. If I'm not present, by all means, correct my child. If it's something major, I'd also like to hear about it. If I scolded a child for doing something and the parents yelled at me, I'd tell them to get off their duffs and do some parenting, then their children wouldn't need to be corrected by me, right?
    iluvmommyhood58

Answer by iluvmommyhood58 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I said it before and I'll say it again....If your kid is doing sopmething he shouldn't and you aren't stopping him. I will, I may do it nicely and not the way I do my own...but, I will let you and he know what he shouldn't be doing it and why. That's why there are so many kids that feel like they can do whatever they feel like and are entitled to everything. If we all acted like they are all our kids and all kids got scolded and there wasn't the CPS fear....then it would be better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Things have changed....You can barley discipline your own kids,more or less some one elses now days.

Answer by louise2 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• YES MAAM! Thats what is wrong with schools now. The parents ALWAYS take the kids side and teachers get blamed and criticized when correcting or disciplining a child.

No wonder kids are out of control, no respect for any authority.

I and my dh are BOTH teachers. My dh teaches High school and MANY MANY times he has caught kids cheating and stealing ONLY to have their parents show up to the school to defend their child and to verbally abuse my dh for accusing them of such a thing.

What else can he do...?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Oh, i wish we could have those days back. Now, parents just stand there and judge you for not doing this or that . Its really pathetic. I would be happy if someone would correct my child whether they are in school or at a friends home. But now days you cant even look at someone's child without having the parents say "you have no right to do that". Its ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• I think their are a lot of crazy people out there so it is hard to say. I have no problem telling a child to stop doing something that could hurt themselves or someone else. I would appreciate it if people called me and alerted me if my dd was doing something potentially harmful. I expect my dd to respect adults and obey them.
    That being said I think their are some very overprotective people who tell kids not to do something that is ridiculous. Ex. We were going on a hike and the trail was muddy, another mother (that we know) pulled my dd back before whe got in the mud and said the mud could suck us down...never go in mud it could swallow us...usually we take off our shoes and go barefoot on the trail..I was very annoyed that she was not minding her own business and enforcing her paranoid ways onto my dd. Extreme example I know, But someone normal telling my dd to stay out of the street or something I would appreciate.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• you could of saved that kids life.
    i would of responded with "and what if he got ran over since you let him play in the street?"

one time at the playground, a girl about 10 years old pushed my daughter over, who was only 2 at the time, i looked at her mother for a few seconds to see if she would respond and her mom did nothing, so i told the little girl "she is much younger than you. she just wanetd to play with you. you do not push kids, especially kids that small" her mother ran over suddently grabbed ehr arm and told me off in japanese lol.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i get nasty looks when i verbally discipline my child. i dont hit her..i dont do anything like that. but i sternly tell her NO, that is bad...or No, that could hurt you. and ppl look at me like im abusive. whatever...when they are parents they will learn. you cant go "ohh hunny please dont walk in the street" that does not work with kids. unless you are an authority figure, they wont listen
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I responded to this mom and told her in exact words that I believe it takes a village to raise a child but some take it too far. If she wants to let her kid drink public fountain water I let it go. If they are a danger to themselves, mine or others I may step in.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2009