what age do you start cereal

my babies just over three months. When do we start cereal

mandar

Asked by mandar at 3:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well....nowadays...they suggest waiting until they are at least 6 months old...even longer if you can.
    When my son was a baby, they said double their birth weight, able to control their heads and when they are eating more than 30 oz of formula, and when the no longer have the tongue thrust reflex. I started him at 4 months on rice cereal. He ate it up and didn't have problems.

If I ever have anymore kids, they will be EBF and I won't even bother trying until they are 1y/o.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I started my son at 5 months. HE LOVES IT!!!! Now I give him fruits and veggies too!!!! Yummy yummy!!!! LOL.
    heyiitsang84

Answer by heyiitsang84 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I started giving our son homemade rice cereal when he was 7 months old. I (and this is a personal belief) don't believe in giving babies solids before 6 months of age, but that's just me.
    tippymorgan08

Answer by tippymorgan08 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• When y ou feel they are ready IMO. We started our 1st at 3 months and our second at 4 months.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You would not want to introduce any solid, including rice cereal until the baby's saliva glands have begun to work. Infants are not born with their saliva glands activated. They are usually 3 1/2 to 4 months of age.

We know that saliva is the first step to the digestion process. Saliva breaks down the food in the mouth so that the stomach doesn't have to do all the work. The stomach also introduces an acid but the saliva is the first step. :) Interesting that this is elementary information but doctors in the 1950's seem to have suggested offering solids with the first month. This is when I realize we have to think for ourselves. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Actually, this is not new to the AAP. This was their recommendation back 29 years ago when I had my first baby. My ped. always told her patients parents this: "Listen to everyone, but in the end, make up your own mind. You are a smart and intelligent person. You can decide what is best for your family using common sense."

These same "experts" also said in the 1950's to feed cereal in the bottle to newborns to help them sleep at nite.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i started my daughter at four months but they do prefer if you wait until 6mos, i think it should be based on what you and baby are comfortable with :)
    muppetsmom619

Answer by muppetsmom619 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2009