Upset Veteran

As a veteran, I see both ends of the table. I have mixed feeling of people that risk the future of their families when they enlist with children or have children without a extended family to care for the children while enlisted. The military is not meant to raise your children in case of war.

My statement is about being responsible to your family. If there's no additional family to raise your kids in case your killed, you really should get out.

If you disagree, what is your response to this article, Year of the Military Family -- Not so Much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i thought the military doesn't even take single parents anymore.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Times are tough and that provides a steady job with steady pay to feed children. I'm going to try to join the reserves after my next child is born, for many other reasons not including the one I just stated. My spouse supports this decision.
    Anonymous

• op here,

tnm786, you are correct. But I'm speaking of other circumstances of unmarried soldiers, etc.
    Anonymous

• ok my neighbor is in the army.when they bought there civilian house it was the idea that he was getting out.well he did his stint.they gave hime 3 choices 1civilian 2 army but 1was to go to iraq.now his wife still thinks he is getting out.he tells my husband he is staying in and going to iraq but that he hasnt told his wife yet.it was a month later that he told her.the whole time she was under the idea he was getting out.so he does a yr comes back.good the wife says he will be getting out now.he again is offered 3 jobs and once again he descides to stay in but move.well his wife is bull at this point but is still in the house morgage free and he is playing golf in az.kids are getting free med and dental and meanwil they are basically separated.these kids look so depressed you dont even know.i dont know but my feeling is stand by your man but also communicate with you wife...there is something wrong with this picture
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• The medical and dental is not free may I remind you for dependants. We get charged $11 every paycheck for my dental, hubby gets it free. I think that a parent should do whatever is best for them and the sake of their children. If my husband just had our son, I do believe he would get out and find another job with the government. But each circumstance differs from person to person.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 4:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• The military does not allow single parents to enlist, nor do they allow the spouse of an active duty member to enlist if they have kids. Now if they were already in the military and then had a kid, they can stay in even if they are single or if they are a dual military family. BUT you have to be able to file a care plan in case you get deployed or something happens to you on who is going to take your child. I think in this economy, most single parents at least are going to choose to stay enlisted because they do get free medical through tricare prime and cheap dental, as well as free housing, free utilities, free education for themselves, and a secure paycheck. My husband is active duty, and I am a SAHM. Now, if I was a single mom who was enlisted, I would take the chance they give you to get out when you are pregnant even if I had extended family who coudl take the kid. I wouldnt want them growing up w/no parents.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2009