How do I get DS off a bottle?

He takes a bottle to bed and for nap. How do I stop this? He won't go to sleep unless he has one. And he cries so much that he throws up if I don't give it to him. He drinks great out of a sippy at meal times but he won't give up his bottle for sleep. He will be 1yr old on 6/20/09 and I want him off the bottle soon. For sleep he takes a nun-nite(security blanket), a binky(I don't mind if he keeps binkys for a little longer because he chews on them because he is teething), and a bottle. Help me take the bottle out. How do I do it? I can't let him cry because he throws up when he cries for too long.

babyboomboom

Asked by babyboomboom at 3:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• give him his sippy cup more and more often for a week and then he'll be used to it. Iyou have to wein them off of it, or you can do what my sister did and throw all the bottles in the house in the trash, he'll only cry for a couple nights, and then he'll get over it.
    lilmama31709

Answer by lilmama31709 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Use only a sippy cup..and give him only a pacifier at bed.

Answer by louise2 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• All you can do is keep pushing the sippy cup. You still have a little over a month til he is 1 so there is still time. Does he take the bottle at all during the day or just at bedtime. If he takes it during the day I would cut that out completely since you said he takes sippys just fine. Once that is done start working at night. If he is used to a sippy you should be able to give it to him at bedtime instead of the bottle. Just keep pushing eventually he will be done with the bottle. I personally just quit giving them at their first birthday. Didn't phase either of my boys at all though. I just put them up and they did not see them again. I know I wasn't much help but good luck!
    iluvmyboys2008

Answer by iluvmyboys2008 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Just switch to water at nap and bedtime and don't worry about it. Sippys cups are just like bottles but look more adult. My son had his bottle till he was 2.5 years old and he gave it up. I didn't make him. I had mine till I was 4. Actually a recent study showed that more and more 2 and 3 year olds are still on bottles at least once a day. I don't see the point in forcing a child to give it up.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I went cold turkey with the twins...just shot all the bottles away.
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 8:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• your son and i have the same birthday! yay!

you really have to show him tough love and say there's no more bottles (throw them away) and just give him a sipicup. my baby refused milk for a month because we were just giving it to her in a sipicup but then after she gave in and took the sipicup. i didn't understand it either because she has been drinking water out of a sipicup at 7 months old..so, i thought it was going to be easy to get her off the boob & bottle. it works, my niece took a few weeks and nephew took a few days to get off the bottle. good luck!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• We just switched DD to a sippy cup. If he won't go to bed w/o a bottle, put only water in it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2009