When is the right age to start potty training?

I've heard if you start too early or push kids it can cause them to wet the bed later on. I don't want to push her but i also don't want to wait too long!

Asked by megan24226 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The signs..Physically: your child can sense and control the urge to eliminate. It's also helpful if they can remove their pants by theirselves. Cognitively: your child understands the connection between using the toilet and staying clean. Emotionally: your child wants to be clean and wants to be like you. Girls are often easier to potty train b/c they are more worried about being clean then little boys. It takes a lot of patience and it helps if you demonstrate how you use the potty. It is very important to understand that she won't do it until she is ready. And it is perfectly normal for a child to stay dry in the day but have accidents at night up until age 7.

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 3:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Well i started my daughter @ the age of 2. The sooner you start the better. I did this so when she could talk she would be able to tell me when she has to go "pee pee" LOL! But every child is different. The sooner you start, the sooner you can save money. You won't have to buy diapers, you'll have to buy a lot of TP though. LOL!

Answer by dymnd81 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my daughter is 19 months old and SHE is the one who let us know she was ready to start potty training. me and my husband bought her training potty early and have had it set out for when we decided to start potty training. all we did was show her what it was for by setting her on it while i went to the bathroom. she started potty training herself when she would take off her diaper, grab herself and say "pee" and then run to the potty and sit on it. she does have occassional accidents but i am so proud of her! she made this very easy for me!

Answer by ang0343 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• 10 months to a year

Answer by Patience1 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 22, 2008